Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello, I'm new here but I hope you don't mind if I chime in... Does your dog play in a creek or pond/lake? Because of the unusual heat this year our lake had more than the usual amount of algae etc... our dog got a fungus on his skin and the vet said he was allergic to something - and said it was his diet...

But then our son brought his dog to visit and swim in the lake and she ended up with a skin fungus as well!

We don't feed the same foods...

So we began thinking about the lake - we water our lawn from the water in the lake and I had noticed a lot of mushrooms started growing on the lawn! I know they're not the same fungus as that will infect a dog's skin - but I thought it interesting...

So now we give the dogs a bath after swimming and with the apple cider vinegar (as someone else posted), they have cleared up!

Anyway - just a thought.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do exactly like cprcheetah with the 50/50 Bragg's apple cider vinegar! Except Jake wouldn't eat it in his food or water... So I put a few drops full strength (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 tsp) on a little bread and wrap the bread in cheese for a treat - just don't squeeze the cheese around the bread (it takes a little practice not to squeeze the vinegar out - lol) He swallows it whole.

I'm old now - but My grandfather in the late 1800's early 1900's used to wipe apple cider vinegar on his horses who had skin fungus issues - my dad said they stank but then they had beautiful skin!

p.s. don't spray it on any open sores where he's scratched himself - it will sting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Some people keep feeding ACV to their dog forever by putting from a few drops to a teaspoon in their water, but I worry about his teeth with the vinegar so I only give him acv when he has problems. I sprayed my boy's legs twice a day with the solution. The antifungal shampoo is a good idea as well. I would pat the wet sticky areas with a little hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to help dry them up.

You can also give him a tablet of Acidophilus every couple of days or feed him plain yogurt to help with the yeast. And salmon oil caplets to help boost his skin (2000 mg per day for a sick dog) But if he still doesn't seem to improve in a day or two I'd take him to the vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.