Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just joined hoping to find a kibble for my Great Pyrenees foster puppy. She is a mixed breed (GP & maybe spaniel?), and is only about 45lbs at 6 months so I'm not sure that she even qualifies as a large breed; but since GP's grow for up to 2 years, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I finally found the cause for her chronic skin problems - she is allergic to chicken. I switched her to Solid Gold Lamb and she is doing much better, but then read that it is not for large breed puppies (would have been nice if it said that on the FRONT of the bag!) The only other good quality non-chicken kibble that I found is Solid Gold Wolfcub (bison), which I am not sure that she can eat since she still has hives from nibbling at my other dogs food.

I'd like to find at least one other brand besides SG, especially since the cost may be prohibitive to prospective adopters. Science Diet and Nutro have large breed puppy formulas, but they are a last resort. Diamond has also come out with a 'premium' variety that actually doesn't look too bad, but I am leery about using it. Any other options?

I've heard that some people feed adult foods, but I'm concerned about the protein/calorie/calcium content and the damage that can be caused from too much of these for a large breed pup. If anyone can recommend an adult formula (non chicken) with low calcium/phospherous, I'd be happy to hear of it.

Thanks!

Catherine

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Blue Buffalo is in the same price range as SG and they have a lamb and rice puppy formula. I'm not sure what good calcium and phosphorus levels are, it sounds like she's not going to be terribly large breed though. I'd say use Nutro and SD as a last last last resort. Like if there's no other food left on the planet besides foods even worse than those.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 26.0% min
Crude Fat 14.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.5% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.6% min
Phosphorus 1.1% min
DHA* 0.1% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.6% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.0% min

Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Fructooligosaccharides, Monooligosaccharides, Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Canidae has a lamb and rice formula (it works for some), Natural Balance has a Lamb Meal and Brown Rice formula both are all life stages foods, California Natural has a Lamb and Rice formula, it isn't marketed as a puppy food however it is accetable to feed a puppy, if the new owners have a Costco card Kirkland (Costco brand) makes a Lamb and Rice formula. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 55 lb Lab......I've been very pleased with NV Instinct or Prairie, Wellness Core & Orijen. All of these have choices other than chicken. I switch between chicken & some of the other flavors but these are my favorites.

I do home cook for my little girl but I also use a little kibble for some crunch.

I really don't know the levels of phosphorus/calcium but I can provide links if you need them.

HTH......:smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Giving Wellness a try

Thanks everyone for the tips. Someone sent me a great link that lists calcium/calorie/fat content for many brands:

http://members.cox.net/starsen/CALCIUMDRY.html

Calcium content for large breed puppies should be under 1.5%. Protein and fat levels for large breed puppy formulas are around 23% and 12% respectively (although raw feeders will disagree with these amounts), and calories roughly between 350-375/cup. I decided to give Wellness Lamb & Salmon a try. It's an adult formula but the protein/fat/calcium/calorie content seems about right. The good new is that the puppy loves it (although she eats just about anything) and hasn't had any adverse reaction to it. So far, so good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts