Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where I live we don't have a long list where to choose :frown:

So far the "best" we can get is pro plan, eukanuba, pro pac, royal canin, science diet.

The rest are those supermarket brands pedigree, dog chow, beneful, and the likes, plus some central american brands that are of a even worse quality.

So my toy poodle puppy that has 6 months now, was on royal canin mini puppy when I got him but I changed to pro plan puppy small breed since they didn't had the royal canin avalible at the moment at the pet shop, but it was luck at the end since he is doing a lot better in this than in the royal canin, but I don't like that the pro plan has corn.

2 Months later I found in a pet store a version of pro pac that dosen't have corn and has more meat than pro plan , this pro pac lamb puppy formula seems better than the other foods I saw before :smile: PRO PAC ® Dog | Puppy Lamb Meal & Rice

He still has a bag of pro plan so I'm mixing it with the pro pac, he eats 3 meals a day, and I'm adding a meal of raw 5 times a week. :biggrin:

I wish I could go into a complete BARF diet for him, but my family don't agree with the idea :/

When I first told them about it they said my pup was going to die or that he wasen't going to be able to digest raw or that he was going to get sick, etc...

I show them pictures of dogs in raw diets on the net, and they let me try give him only a few meals a week but they don't agree on going into a complete change, so it seems they first need to see that the dog is not going to die from eating raw meat.

Sigh.... but going back into the kibble talk, the handler of my pup told me that she found in a store (those supermarket like stores that need membership) that they are now selling kirkland that is what she nows feeds her dogs.

I went to the store and the ingredients seem good but it has less meat than the pro pac lamb, and it has beet pulp and my pup had a poblem with more tear stains with the royal canin that has beet pulp too. :frown:

Also the smaller bag they have avalible is the puppy version that has 20 LBs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So what might be better for him? the pro pac lamb or the kirkland puppy? :confused:

I'm not sure, the kirkland looks like it has better ingredients but it has the beet pulp and less meat than the pro pac.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
My vote goes to Kirkland, definitely.
Pro Pac also uses corn, and very little meat.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Even so, I'd go with Kirkland if you can get it. It's a little bit better quality, and I think it might even be more affordable, which is an added bonus. I'm not sure what Pro Pac is going for these days..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might be right :smile: .... I think I'm going to ask my handler if she can give me a few for my pup to try it and see how his tummy reacts.

Since the smaller bag they sell is 20 pounds, and he still has pro plan and pro pac left.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts