Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have a golden and decided we wanted to have him on a raw diet. I started him off on Instinct Raw bites until we could do our research on the best recipes to feed him. My husband is a butcher and is able to make 50-pound quantities at a time. We have two recipes so far:

Beef recipe:
Eye of Round 40# (fat removed)
Liver 1#
Tripe 5#
Heart 4#

Chicken Recipe:
Whole Chicken (skinned) 40#
Liver 1#
Gizzards 5#
Hearts 4#

We give him 400 grams 2 times a day. I feed him chicken in the morning and beef at night.

When he was on the instinct raw bites we didn't have a problem with vomiting and diarrhea. But it seems that with the new meals we created it doesn't seem to work for him. Not sure how to fix this. I brought him to the vet and the wasn't really concerned about the vomiting. He did put him on a medication to stop diarrhea (Metronidazole), but after a couple of doses of the medicine his paws got really itchy and so I stopped the medicine. When I called the vet to let him know that he had a reaction to the medication he told me that it wasn't the medication, my dog was having some sort of skin allergy. I don't believe that because as soon as I stopped the medication, his feet were not itchy anymore....

I really want to keep feeding my dog raw. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am only stating what seems obvious and you probably know this but in case... I see and hear often that when you CHANGE a dog's diet from whatever you were doing to adding Raw meat/organs there's a shock to the system and gas and diarrhea occurs. I believe Instinct has a mix of foods and of course nutrients; not just raw meat products.
Your situation seems ideal for a successful Raw diet imo... and I haven't gone all Raw, but in my experience, when I switched from a Grain free Kibble (mixed with fresh homemade cooked food) to a Coated Raw kibble, my dog got gas like it was going out of style. The little bit of freeze dried raw got to him.
I would suggest adding your raw meat mixes to Instinct gradually and wean your dog off the Instinct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

We have a golden and decided we wanted to have him on a raw diet. I started him off on Instinct Raw bites until we could do our research on the best recipes to feed him. My husband is a butcher and is able to make 50-pound quantities at a time. We have two recipes so far:

Beef recipe:
Eye of Round 40# (fat removed)
Liver 1#
Tripe 5#
Heart 4#

Chicken Recipe:
Whole Chicken (skinned) 40#
Liver 1#
Gizzards 5#
Hearts 4#

We give him 400 grams 2 times a day. I feed him chicken in the morning and beef at night.

When he was on the instinct raw bites we didn't have a problem with vomiting and diarrhea. But it seems that with the new meals we created it doesn't seem to work for him. Not sure how to fix this. I brought him to the vet and the wasn't really concerned about the vomiting. He did put him on a medication to stop diarrhea (Metronidazole), but after a couple of doses of the medicine his paws got really itchy and so I stopped the medicine. When I called the vet to let him know that he had a reaction to the medication he told me that it wasn't the medication, my dog was having some sort of skin allergy. I don't believe that because as soon as I stopped the medication, his feet were not itchy anymore....

I really want to keep feeding my dog raw. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The old saying "If it's not broke-Don't try and fix it" Instinct is a professional company who have conducted feeding trials that are "Complete & Balanced"They have certified veterinary nutritionist's on staff. STAY WITH THE PROS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts