Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise that I'm just stuck on what to feed her.

At first, I fed her Royal Canin Puppy 33, and switched to Iams (I know, I read up on Iams and realized how horrible it is for her). I need help switching her food to something that would be better for her. I've been researching but I've been coming up with lots of different brands of food, with Innova Evo, Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and a whole bunch of other premium dog food showing up. With all these choices, I'm not too sure which one to pick!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, between the premium kibbles you've lined up, they are all very good commercial foods. From there, it's a matter of your budget, accessibility to the food and which food your dog enjoys most without having any negative reactions. It's an experimental couple of months that's really going to give you the answer you're looking for :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, between the premium kibbles you've lined up, they are all very good commercial foods. From there, it's a matter of your budget, accessibility to the food and which food your dog enjoys most without having any negative reactions. It's an experimental couple of months that's really going to give you the answer you're looking for :smile:
Thanks for your reply.

I took the time to do a little more research and ended up deciding on the Innova Evo, and I will be on my way to pick that up on my way home tomorrow. However, I'm a little worried that the food would be too rich for my puppy as I noticed the EVO has 42% protein, 22% fat, etc. Would this type of diet be good for a Shih Tzu mix?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Innova Evo is a great quality brand; however, you would need to keep the puppy on puppy food until it is older as puppies have different dietary needs than adults. Innova Evo doesn't work for all dogs and yes, it is a high-protein kibble. I put my adult dogs on it and it didn't work out for us because 1) my dogs are inactive and they gained a lot of weight on it because they loved it and 2) they had very soft stools on the food. However, that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you. Sounds like you are researching various foods and that's a good thing.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have a 5 month old Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise that I'm just stuck on what to feed her.

At first, I fed her Royal Canin Puppy 33, and switched to Iams (I know, I read up on Iams and realized how horrible it is for her). I need help switching her food to something that would be better for her. I've been researching but I've been coming up with lots of different brands of food, with Innova Evo, Wellness Core, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and a whole bunch of other premium dog food showing up. With all these choices, I'm not too sure which one to pick!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
awww:biggrin: sounds like a cute little pup you have there! you are tending towards Natura products which are great line of foods. Innova has a dry puppy food. California Natural has a lamb & rice and also a chicken & rice puppy food. Healthwise also has a chicken & rice puppy food. Wellness the core foods are for over 1 years old I know that wellness makes puppy food though, I just know the core is for over a year. But whatever you choose great choices! Have fun with your pup! Good luck with the feeding! Transition slowly to your new food!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had my pup on innova then moved her over to evo when she got to about 10-11 months. i've read on multiple forums that evo is not good for a puppy so i took my precautions. =)

gj on choosing an awesome food tho!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Innova Evo and Wellness Core are both great foods, but they aren't made for puppies under one year. Also, the protien levels in the grain free formulas is really high, and a lot of less active dogs don't do that well on it. Of course there are those who swear by grain free, and don't even care about the loose stools, gas, and other signs that the food is too rich for their pups.
For a puppy that age, Wellness Just for Puppy is a great pick. My Corgi is on that, as well as a pre made raw diet of Buffalo and Elk and he does absolutely fantastic.
Innova Puppy is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
If you've got to feed kibble EVO is the one to feed. Many people worry about the protein levels but EVO is mostly meat proteins, therefore good for dogs. It's the plant proteins in other kibbles that cause problems.

Yes, It's a rich food that some people have problems with in feeding their dogs. They feed it like other kibbles and you just can't do that. You feed a lot less EVO than the traditional kibbles. People who know how to feed it don't have problems with it.

Dogs are carnivores and the more meat you can feed the better. EVO is very heavy in meat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts