Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old male Golden, around 85 pounds. He's been on raw now since April and I had no issues at all transitioning him.

The last couple weeks, he's had bouts of diarrhea and I can't figure out why. I've not introduced any new foods.

I only give him one meal a day but yesterday I had two chicken backs in the fridge that were getting to the point of being smelly so I gave them to him as a dinner treat (he had fish for breakfast). I know Golden's sometimes have sensitive stomachs, could this have done it? (Yes, woke up to runny treasures on my carpet this morning)

Do recently transitioned dogs ever have issues like this? Could he be developing a food allergy?

I rotate the following single protein meals: chicken back, chicken quarter, turkey neck, pork neck, beef heart, beef liver, fish, turkey wing & pork rib.

Thanks,
Jean

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I would say that since he was use to only having one meal a day he just had too much food and that caused the diarreah. You've only given him single meat source meals and then he had two different sources that day so this could have been the problem also.

I would fast him for 24 hrs and then start again on chicken backs.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
pork neck, beef heart, beef liver, fish -- sub out llama for pork neck and that's what gave my guys the squirts.

some times, the food is too rich...

we live. we learn.

now i know why RFD gives the chicken back every morning LOL

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I just don't give diarrhea a second thought anymore. Of course if it's uncontrollable for days on end cannon butt I'd start to worry. Just takes some getting used to with raw feeding. Just feed less food, higher bone content for a few days and he should be back on track.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i only give it a second thought when i have to clean it up when we're walking the dogs...blech...messy job.

i keep a journal of what i feed my dogs...it's part of a cost sheet....so i know what i'm spending...i keep one for our house hold, too....because i am just a little OCD....

so if i feed them llama/pork/beef/beef liver in the same day, i can pretty well expect loose stools....

i don't do that anymore lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts