Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

We have a husky that is 8 months old, she has been on kibble since we got her and am finally putting her on a raw diet. She has had a lot of problems with a sensitive stomach, loose stools, etc. so I am hoping all this will change for the better!

I just have a few questions......

She is 42 lbs. now, which is her ideal weight and am wondering if chicken wings and necks will be too small for her? I actually have given her raw salmon with her kibble and she just goes to town! Also I calculated that she should be eating around a pound of food daily. Am I right on this?

I also have given her beef short ribs (raw) for a treat now and then but take the bone away after it gets too small. Am I crazy or should she just chew away at it? I thought that she might choke as she puts the whole bone in her mouth after taking all the meat off.

I am sure I will have more questions, just want to get her started asap.

Also,(one more) should she get runny stools etc adjusting to the raw chicken?

Thanks!!!
Huskyfan

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
She is 42 lbs. now, which is her ideal weight and am wondering if chicken wings and necks will be too small for her?
Yes, definately.

I actually have given her raw salmon with her kibble and she just goes to town! Also I calculated that she should be eating around a pound of food daily. Am I right on this?
Thats a good starting point. Start there and keep an eye on her build. If she starts getting too fat, feed less and vice versa.

I also have given her beef short ribs (raw) for a treat now and then but take the bone away after it gets too small. Am I crazy or should she just chew away at it?
Beef bones can be dense. Ribs are the less dense of all of them but still on the dense side for a beginner. Also if she can get the whole bone in her mouth, it could be dangerous. I would begin with chicken parts (backs, quarters, bone in breasts).

Also,(one more) should she get runny stools etc adjusting to the raw chicken?
If you follow my suggestions for beginning raw feeding on my web page, there should be no problem adjusting. Follow the link in my sig at the bottom of this post.

·
Registered
718 Posts
This has been discussed before but PLEASE make sure if you feed raw salmon (or trout or steelhead) to a dog, it is farm raised and not wild. Dogs fed raw wild salmon caught in nearly any west coast salmon fishery can suffer from fatal Salmon Poisoning Disease. There are measures you can take to mitigate the problem, which were discussed in this thread awhile ago.

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/dry-canned-dog-food/1476-fish-oil-supplements.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I had no idea about this and thought that giving Koa wild salmon would be a great treat for her.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I had no idea about this and thought that giving Koa wild salmon would be a great treat for her.
Thanks again!
You can still feed her wild salmon. It is really great stuff. Just be sure and freeze it for a month first. Freezing will make it OK to feed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts