Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 year old lab whose vet just put on Hills J/D prescription food for his arthritis (he's aready on Dasuquin and Welactin). I just heard about Nature's Select Chicken & Rice with Glucosamine and was wondering if that was better than the Hill prescription J/D food. It is cheaper and they do deliver it to your front door. Oh yes, My lab also gets 2 Tramadol a day and 2 to 3 Arnica pills in the morning.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Most brands are better than Hill's anything. This food is decent, but there are certainly better ones on the market. However, it's definitely a good idea to have your dog on a food with some glucosamine in it. On the other hand, it sounds like your dog is already on so many meds for his arthritis, so maybe all this extra glucosamine really isn't necessary. You could try adding salmon oil to your dog's food instead, as it is a natural anti-inflammatory for joints.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
The glucosamine levels in dog foods that "include" it aren't really enough to make a difference anyway, so you'd be better of giving a supplement than trying to get productive levels in any food.
That being said, I would get the dog off of Hills immediately, and onto a quality food. Almost anything is cheaper, as well as better quality than hills anything.

I've heard several times that chicken feet are great for joints. This month I took my GSD mix off of his joint supplement, and put him on chicken feet two or three times a week, and I'll let you know if I notice a difference. If they are effective, it's a great natural alternative.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My 4 year old lab takes 3 tramodol in the morning and 3 in the evening. She was diagnosed with arthritis in her one back leg hip area. She would not walk on it. She also takes 2 glucosimine chondrotine with msm pills and one fish oil tab which I get those form Sam's club. Oh and a vitamin E pill but you should only give 400 mg of this so I have to watch this because they do have it in the dog food! She is right now on wellness core weight management. For her the best thing was the weight loss and her daily walks. This has improved things tremendously! Gee and the walks are a bonus for me too haha! Its like I have to walk then dogs and that is that! She at one point was on rimadyl which helped her NOT AT ALL! But the pain reliever tramodol did the trick! She goes in every 6 months for blood work. I am thinking of cutting her back on the tramodol again! She is doing well with this!
My other lab who is 7 is not to into pills so she has a bit of leg trouble and is only on Recover SA which I order though smartpak. She is doing well on this along with the fish oil and vitamin E. The amounts of glucosimine in dog food is really not enough to consider at all! I would get off the hills J/d its not worth the money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts