Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of our dogs are on Nature's Recipe dry kibble. Our labs are on the Lamb and Rice Adult formula, while our greyhound is on the Senior formula. Our labs are doing great with the food, but our greyhound is not doing so well with the senior formula. He has started losing weight and he is losing quite a bit of hair on the back of his thighs and near his stomach. He has hypothyroidism, and he is on his medicine everyday, twice a day.We are going to switch him over to the Lamb and Rice to see if this helps him any. Has anyone heard anything about Nature's Recipe Senior kibble?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
628 Posts
All of our dogs are on Nature's Recipe dry kibble. Our labs are on the Lamb and Rice Adult formula, while our greyhound is on the Senior formula. Our labs are doing great with the food, but our greyhound is not doing so well with the senior formula. He has started losing weight and he is losing quite a bit of hair on the back of his thighs and near his stomach. He has hypothyroidism, and he is on his medicine everyday, twice a day.We are going to switch him over to the Lamb and Rice to see if this helps him any. Has anyone heard anything about Nature's Recipe Senior kibble?

Thanks in advance!
How often do you have his thyroid levels checked? Sounds like he may need a medication increase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He gets his thyroid checked every couple of months, he isn't due for his next until October. It's worrying me, so I am taking him to see the vet as soon as possible.

L

·
0 Posts
I've never used Nature's Recipe, all I really know about it is that it's been around for at 20 years and was one of, if not the first companies to advocate a diet without corn, wheat or by products.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My opinion of Nature's Recipe is that it's about equal to Nutro. Not the worst food out there, but there are many others that are way, way better. More than 10 years ago NR was listed in the Whole Dog Journal as one of the top foods. I fed NR to my dogs for several years. Then about 5 years ago when one of my dogs was diagonsed with thyroid cancer I researched foods and haven't bought NR again. Dog food analysis gives it only 2 stars now. They may have cheapened up the formula in the past ten years?

Check www.dogfoodanalysis.com or http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Nature's Recipe for Healthy Skin for several years - began using it as one of our rescues had a severe rash. Following a natural course, we made sure fleas and diet were not the cause before moving on to other possible causes. Once on the food for 2 weeks, our dog's rash was gone. We have tried upgrading to grain free foods, but that didn't work out.
Keep in mind not all dogs are alike - but for our pack, we feed NR for Healthy Skin (venison recipe) as their kibble along with a raw diet. Our dogs see the vet regularly and none of them have any bad health issues. In fact, for one of our dogs, it's the only food we can feed without the dog putting itself on a hunger strike ... I have seen this dog starve itself for days simply because the kibble is not NR.
Aside from the fact that it has been great for our pack, the best thing I can say is that when we had that huge pet food recall about 2-3 years back, Nature's Recipe was not involved in it. So I never had to worry about my pack.
No corn, no wheat, no beef, no by-products ... it's one of the better quality foods available. If you want the best foods available - Innova-EVO or Nature's Variety Instinct. JMO
~Gypsy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts