Dog Food Chat banner

Natural high fiber dog food?

15K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  petzzshop 
What does your dog'a poo look like on the vet prescribed food? How firm is it? How big is it? And what does it look like on other foods that you've tried?

If you're up for it, you can use the chart here as a reference: http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/raw-feeding/3093-poop-chart.html

In order to express the anal gland, you may need firmer poos to press on the gland during exit, hence releasing the... the... well, whatever it is that's in anal glands.

Unless I am mistaken, I don't think that the ingredients in the food will effect the gland. I believe the vet is prescribing this food because it may result in firmer poos.

If you were to feed a really good, more bio-available food such as Orijen, you might see firmer poos than you do with lesser quality foods with tons of filler. Dogs utilize the ingredients more in a food such as Orijen. Consequently, the output is more of a concentrated mass of firm poo.

And like others have said, some dogs just need their glands expressed manually from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.