Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
493 Posts
Looks like a great product! I'd go for it. Much better to use organic/herbal sprays than the traditional, and often toxic, commercial flea treatment.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Looks like a great product! I'd go for it. Much better to use organic/herbal sprays than the traditional, and often toxic, commercial flea treatment.
Why is there this bias that anything labeled "natural" cannot possibly be bad or toxic?

This is not to say that there may not be an effective product out there that is potentially less harmful to the animal than the "commercial" versions. But so far no one seems to have found it.:confused:

·
Banned
493 Posts
Why is there this bias that anything labeled "natural" cannot possibly be bad or toxic?

This is not to say that there may not be an effective product out there that is potentially less harmful to the animal than the "commercial" versions. But so far no one seems to have found it.:confused:

you make a good point. "natural" is but a label. are there any specific brands of alternate flea/tick control that you'd recommend?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I know that when it says "natural" on a bottle, it doesn't always mean that it's non toxic. But, looking at the ingredients on it, I'm not sure which ones are good and which ones are bad...

·
Banned
493 Posts
I know that when it says "natural" on a bottle, it doesn't always mean that it's non toxic. But, looking at the ingredients on it, I'm not sure which ones are good and which ones are bad...
i do a little research on the ingredients and get with you.:smile:

·
Banned
493 Posts
i did some research of the ingredients, and most of them sound very safe, except wormwood. here is what i found about that;

The chemical in wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) that causes neurotoxicity is thujone. Like many other toxic substances it may not cause problems in very small doses. There are safer and better anti-worming agents that can be used on dogs (and people).

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like many other toxic substances it may not cause problems in very small doses. There are safer and better anti-worming agents that can be used on dogs (and people).
I may have trouble using "small doses" on my 115 lb. pooch! :wink:

But thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
you make a good point. "natural" is but a label. are there any specific brands of alternate flea/tick control that you'd recommend?
We have ticks & fleas year round down here in FL, so we have no alternative but to use something full time. What's interesting is I recently asked our breeder about this since she's an actively working vet tech. She said they STILL have people coming in with infested animals at this time of the year, so she recommended that we still treat our dog, despite the colder weather.

So unfortunately, until someone comes up with something different, we have to use a commercial product (K9 Advantix) for fleas, ticks & mosquitoes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts