Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me decide whats best for my new pup....

I've read this site over and over again, and have officially reached overload !

I will be picking up my 8wk old German Shorthaired Pointer in 2wks, and I want to start her on a good diet of quality kibble. I have several questions...:confused:

Do we consider her a large breed ?
Grain or no grain ?
All life stage or puppy food ?

after sifting through the research, the foods that seem to best suit our budget and be readily available seem to be...

(in no order)I said 3 but I meant 4
Chicken Soup
TOTW
Solid Gold
Wellness

Please help with any suggestions... and help us give Ellie a good life ! :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
She would be considered medium, but either way, large breed formulas are not worth the markup, so an ALS formula will be just fine.

Grain or no grain ?
Grain free foods are considered higher quality.
I'm not really on that bandwagon, because "grain free" does not always mean more meat and/or less carbs. So, it's up to you to decide what you want to do. Some grain free foods are also very rich and have been known to cause some loose stools.

This doesn't really matter. If it's formulated for all life stages, then you're fine.

Chicken Soup
TOTW
Solid Gold
Wellness

Please help with any suggestions... and help us give Ellie a good life ! :biggrin:
Why pick one? I think in any kind of diet, be it kibble, homecooked, or BARF, or prey model raw, VARIETY is key. I would rotate all four of them!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Please help me decide whats best for my new pup....

I've read this site over and over again, and have officially reached overload !

I will be picking up my 8wk old German Shorthaired Pointer in 2wks, and I want to start her on a good diet of quality kibble. I have several questions...:confused:

Grain or no grain ?

after sifting through the research, the foods that seem to best suit our budget and be readily available seem to be...

Chicken Soup
TOTW
Solid Gold
Wellness

to my knowledge german short haired pointers reach over 55 pounds so i would consider them a large breed. large breeds are 55-100 pound.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
to my knowledge german short haired pointers reach over 55 pounds so i would consider them a large breed. large breeds are 55-100 pound.
Boxers can be up to 70 lbs within breed standard, and they are classified as medium. Their weight range is 55-70 lbs.

I looked up GSPs and they are 30-55 lbs, so if a breed that can be up to 70lbs is medium, I'd say one that has a max of 55 would not be considered large. :wink:

Either way though, large breed formulas are just another gimmick of the pet food industry.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Boxers can be up to 70 lbs within breed standard, and they are classified as medium. Their weight range is 55-70 lbs.

I looked up GSPs and they are 30-55 lbs, so if a breed that can be up to 70lbs is medium, I'd say one that has a max of 55 would not be considered large. :wink:

Either way though, large breed formulas are just another gimmick of the pet food industry.
55-100 is large breed, you may not agree, but it is the truth. giant breeds are over 100 pounds. ive seen mixed things about boxers some call them large, some call them medium. a normal boxer isnt 70 though, so that's why they are prolly called medium since most hover around 55 pounds.

either way though,you are entitled to your opinion. wouldnt want to attack your thoughts ;):

oh btw after posting this i noticed danemama says large breeds are 50-100. so her size begins at smaller than mine does and shes going to vet school ;).

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have a female GSH Pointer and she is about 45-48lbs. She is by far not a large breed dog. I agree that she is a medium sized.

To me a large breed dog would be a Rottweiler, Newfoundland, Saint Bernard, Anatolian Shepherd, Malamute, Bloodhound, Black Russian Terrier, Bouvier, Bullmastiff, Greyhound, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Great Dane, etc....

Some of the dogs above could even be considered a Giant Breed.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I have a female GSH Pointer and she is about 45-48lbs. She is by far not a large breed dog. I agree that she is a medium sized.

To me a large breed dog would be a Rottweiler, Newfoundland, Saint Bernard, Anatolian Shepherd, Malamute, Bloodhound, Black Russian Terrier, Bouvier, Bullmastiff, Greyhound, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Great Dane, etc....

Some of the dogs above could even be considered a Giant Breed.
all of the dogs above are giant breeds. except rottweilers. giant breeds and large breeds are DIFFERENT. this is why some people may say my range is wrong but its not.

but i cant change anyones minds =p

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
55-100 is large breed, you may not agree, but it is the truth. giant breeds are over 100 pounds. ive seen mixed things about boxers some call them large, some call them medium. a normal boxer isnt 70 though, so that's why they are prolly called medium since most hover around 55 pounds.
Either way, Boxers aren't on topic, I used the example to show that this breed, which is bigger than the breed at hand, is classified as medium. (classified as medium by the AKC and ABC, who sets the real standard. Doesn't matter what other places state)
Most don't hover around 55. Most males are around 65.
It's my breed. I've done the research. Years of it. :wink:

The topic at hand is the GSP, which have a weight MAXIMUM of 55.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree that GSPs, especially females, are really more medium breeds. A weight max of 55 lbs hardly makes them "large."

I'd say go with a grain-free food that has more meat in it. I think TOTW would be a fantastic first choice for you. Second choice is Orijen (based mostly on price), then Wellness. Best of luck with little Ellie!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Go to the AKC website and look up the GSH Pointer. I just did. It says it is a MEDIUM sized breed.

Just letting you know....:wink:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
well i did state in my post i wasnt sure how big that breed got. i said dogs over 55 in my opinion should be fed as large breeds.

so shearing what i hear now, i would say feed the GSH as a medium.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something very similiar about a certain poster here; has alot of the same similarities to someone that was banned, just sayin.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something very similiar about a certain poster here; has alot of the same similarities to someone that was banned, just sayin.:rolleyes:
who are you reffering to? i encourage mods to check my ip to see if ive ever created another account on this site. this is my only account. i atleast have an avitar proving i have a pet, you dont even have that.

just saying also.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You mean claybuster? What happened to him, I enjoyed his delirious rantings.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Claybuster or Mr. Todd.....both banned....

Either way, IMO you guys are both right.

If you want to just divide the dogs into just small, large, and giant then the 50 and up rule applies, making the GSP a large breed. HOWEVER, more specifically, if you're throwing medium breed in there then you're taking some weights from the large breed category. Therefore, looking at it this way the GSP would be a medium breed.

It's all just how specific you want to be. :wink:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Hmmmmm, someones very defensive and trying to prove something that they shouldn't need to, makes me really wonder!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Hmmmmm, someones very defensive and trying to prove something that they shouldn't need to, makes me really wonder!:rolleyes:
uh youd be defnesive to..if someone called you out...
what am i supposed to not respond and have people think im someone who was banned?

all i said was do an ip check or w/e to see if ive made any multiple accounts. and ive also said ive posted videos, and pictures of MYSELF and my dog, and have asked reasonable questions. you ar ejust some annonymous dude talking mess =p.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Ok guys let's keep the confrontation to a minimum and reserve it for PMs and keep the threads on-topic, shall we?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much for the few helpful replies.. once I sifted through the arguing

So those of you who mentioned having GSP's ... what do you feed your pups ? and what are your experiences ?

You mentioned rotating and feeding all four.
I've heard that mixing foods and switching diets is hard on a dogs system and can upset the stomach. Is this urban legend or truth ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts