Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just recently discovered that it is the skin on the chicken and turkey cuts that Brady is having a hard time chewing through. This results in him getting bored with it and attempting to swallow the meat in a partially chewed "string" rather than chewing off chunks.

My questions are: Do any of you remove the skin before serving? Does the skin have any major nutritional value? Would he be missing out if I did remove it? Any other thoughts? :smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I removed the skin for Annie during transition, and I'm going to be removing it for Chesney now just to keep stools firm during transition.
I'm not sure that it has anything that he'd be missing without it, I think most people feed it skin on just for the sake of not going through the effort of removing it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Do any of you remove the skin before serving?
No

Does the skin have any major nutritional value?
Skin contains a lot of fat but fat is good for dogs. It's where they get most of their energy.

Would he be missing out if I did remove it?
He wouldn't be getting as much energy providing fat.

Any other thoughts? :smile:
Don't expect dogs to eat with the same manners and habits as humans. They aren't humans and aren't built the same way. We chew food into a mush before swallowing. Dogs only chew it into pieces small enought to fit down their throat. Amazingly large pieces fit down their throat.

My dogs eat the way you describe. For example they will chomp a chicken quarter 3 or 4 times then swallow it whole. It's like a big long string. They have been doing this for almost 8 years with no problem other than an occasionall regurgitation to rechew it a few chomps. I never associated this with the skin still attached. Thats interesting.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dogs eat the way you describe. For example they will chomp a chicken quarter 3 or 4 times then swallow it whole. It's like a big long string. They have been doing this for almost 8 years with no problem other than an occasionall regurgitation to rechew it a few chomps. I never associated this with the skin still attached. Thats interesting.
It's not a huge issue except when he tried to swallow a turkey wing whole because he couldn't get through the skin. I had to cut it up for the big baby.:rolleyes: lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts