Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Hehe well I've just been using my own nail clippers on the dogs, but I need to invest in a pair for them (a whopping $7 - $10, I know). I really like the scissor style ones, they seem to stay sharper longer and clip the nail really nicely. In the past I've found that the guillotine style ones don't stay as sharp and usually shatter the nail rather than give it a good clean clip.

I also have a Pedipaws but the motor in mine is a joke and I have to spend about 5 mins on each nail if I want to be diligent enough to wear it down enough to make any sort of difference.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the past I've found that the guillotine style ones don't stay as sharp and usually shatter the nail rather than give it a good clean clip.
I have a guillotine clipper right now and I'm looking for ways of sharpening the blade. They do seem to shatter the nail, now that it's not sharp. From the time I got them, I would say they stayed sharp for about 1 year. Is there any difference between the two clippers...? I've never used scissor style...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I dunno, maybe I've just gotten bad guillotine style clippers but they never seemed to work very well for me. I also didn't feel like I had as much control over where they were going/I couldn't see as well where I was going to clip with them.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Invest in a dremmel! Your dog will love you:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah I know, that's what I need to do! But Pennywise, who is the most tolerant dog when it comes to me clipping her nails, isn't as big of a fan of me grinding her nails. And Milo absolutely will not let me clip his nails in any way shape or form! ...anyone know how much Benadryl you can safely give a dog to calm it down? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
We started with a dremmel. My husband would NOT let me shell out the extra $$ for the PediPaws when we could get a real dremmel with a bunch of attachments for the same price. Ania was NOT having it with the dremmel.

So I got the scissor type clippers. Not sure of the brand, but they have a green handle. I like them (Ania doesn't, but I don't care so much. It's necessary for her to have mandatory pedicures. Dang, I sorta wish I were a dog!). When I go to do her nails, she is always really squirmy, so it is imparitive that the scissors be sharp. 'Cuz once I get in there, it has to go fast! And yes, I use a bunch of positive reinforcement techniques to get her to change her attitude, but she still hates it. It's getting better, though. :biggrin:

Richelle

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I got my pair of clippers thru my work so they are the heavy duty kind. If you were to have any pair those are the ones I would suggest. Just ask your vet to order them for you. They are more expensive but worth it because they are super sharp and durable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use a real dremmel, not the pedipaws thing. Way too low power and it takes forever.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have been getting the dogs nails clipped at petco now they went up to eleven bucks. I have dog clippers right here but we havent been to good about getting them done here! If I go to the vet and they need it I have them do it there or like I said petco whos price went up here!
So the dremmel is good! Hmmmm I will have to look into this!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I definately do not use nail clippers of any kind of the dogs because I like to keep them as short as I can, and to cut their nail short with clippers, it can pinch the quick and hurt them, even though they don't bleed. None of my dogs particularly enjoy me messing with their nails, so it's really important to me to not inflict any pain or even discomfort. They're dramatic, and the slightest pinch and you'd think I just absolutely killed them.
I use a nail grinder. I tried the Peticure, as well as the PetiPaws, and hated them both but then I found one that was actually affordable by Master Grooming Tools that I really like a lot. It was about $25, and comes with all the attachments, has a decent motor, and the little sandpaper rounds last longer than any other i've used.

PetEdge: Master Grooming Tools Pet Nail Grinder Kit

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another dremmel vote here! We tried Pedipaws, but it was a joke; no power whatsoever. And I'm afraid to let my husband loose with those crappy clippers again. :eek:

Where did you buy your dremmel and what kind is it...?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Where did you buy your dremmel and what kind is it...?
Ours is an older Dremel MultiPro that we've had for about 14 years, so I'm not sure what the equivalent is in their current lineup: perhaps the 300 series?

We originally bought it when we lived on the sailboat. It's always been a useful tool well before we got Zio, so the fact that his breeder recommended using it on him for his nails was a bonus.

We especially like the fact that it's a multi-speed & we can adjust the revs to suit him.

You can buy them at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, or online. The price varies depending on the model.

Hope that helps,

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just found out that one of my friends has a dremmel. Wooot!! She's a groomer. She let me borrow it for as long as I want. She has tons of grinders. It has hi and low speeds and is cordless. Requires four AA batteries. Here's a pic of it...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Just found out that one of my friends has a dremmel. Wooot!! She's a groomer. She let me borrow it for as long as I want. She has tons of grinders. It has hi and low speeds and is cordless. Requires four AA batteries. Here's a pic of it...
I saw that on the Dremel website, but wondered if it was powerful enough to handle larger dog's nails. Sounds like it might.

Like I said, we've had our Dremel for years. It's a great "multi-tool"... not just for pet pedi's. :wink:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel fortunate since I never clipped my dogs nails, we walk a lot on roads which keeps his nails short.
Aspen does the same thing with his nails on the concrete too. But lately, they have been getting a little long. I'm not sure why. Especially his declaws. I probably will stick to the dremmel since I hate trimming black nails. Every other nail on him is black. They make me nervous...!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts