Dog Food Chat banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey leaveittoweaver! You are not a bad mommy! Your new baby just has to get used to the new home, schedule, etc..... She got over the stairs right? If her poop continues to smell bad, I would not rule out a vet visit. If you are even thinking of feeding raw-JustDoIt!!! I had many reservations and even after one month I am still feeding a small amount (less than half of a days feeding to all three of my pups 4yrs, 11yrs, and 12 1/2 yrs.) The raw food is sooooo much easier on the stomach and bowels. I also just bought a book entitled Raw Dog Food by Carina Beth MacDonald. Highly recommended and no requests for supplements. I only give a high dose of glucomsamine/chrondrotin (sp?) because of severe arthritis in my oldies. It really is easy, and kinda fun because you feel good about giving varied meats...pumpkin is always good!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, just WOW. I read the response to your email to the rescue 3 times now & I cringe every time. You were way more polite than that person deserved - kudos to you.

Are you communicating with the foster home or the person in charge of the rescue? If it is not the person in charge, I think you should find out who their president or director is. As a rescuer myself, I would want to know if one of my foster homes was treating an adopter so rudely. And I would want a chance to make this right & make it work. Yes the adoption fee helps with the expenses of future dogs, but it is the dogs who are important, not the $$$. I'm willing to give this rescue the benefit of the doubt about the loss of muscle tone. If you are caring for multiple dogs & one comes in lame, it is easy to not notice on a day to day basis that perhaps it is getting worse. If this was one of my fosters, I would ask you to bring her to my vet & the rescue would cover the cost of x-rays. Especially since you work in the store where this rescue has adoption events - they should know you to some extent already.

As for x-ray costs, the amount can vary. I had the hips/pelvis of my newest foster x-rayed last Friday for a whopping $40! Yep, just one zero on there. I knew she had been hit by a car, pelvis had been broken, she'd been on total rest for 8 weeks at the shelter, etc. But I needed to know how she was doing before I could adopt her out. She's not perfect, but she's good to go. The x-rays at my vet can easily be forwarded to her new vet when she is adopted. And I will make sure to explain fully to her new family about her injury, treatment & prognosis.

If the rescue refuses to help with costs, then my advice would be to talk to your vet again. Ask him how soon the x-rays need to be done & what the cost will be. Explain that while you want what is best for your pup, that finances are always a consideration. I think sometimes vets forget that - they are concentrating on the health of the animals, not the cost. Maybe you can safely delay the x-rays for a month or 2 while you save up, adjust your budget, etc. Since you have been a client for a while, your vet will probably be willing to work with you, maybe you can make small weekly or monthly payments up front even & then have the x-rays done.

BTW, your girl is gorgeous & that picture you posted is stunning.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wow, just WOW. I read the response to your email to the rescue 3 times now & I cringe every time. You were way more polite than that person deserved - kudos to you.

Are you communicating with the foster home or the person in charge of the rescue? If it is not the person in charge, I think you should find out who their president or director is. As a rescuer myself, I would want to know if one of my foster homes was treating an adopter so rudely. And I would want a chance to make this right & make it work. Yes the adoption fee helps with the expenses of future dogs, but it is the dogs who are important, not the $$$. I'm willing to give this rescue the benefit of the doubt about the loss of muscle tone. If you are caring for multiple dogs & one comes in lame, it is easy to not notice on a day to day basis that perhaps it is getting worse. If this was one of my fosters, I would ask you to bring her to my vet & the rescue would cover the cost of x-rays. Especially since you work in the store where this rescue has adoption events - they should know you to some extent already.

As for x-ray costs, the amount can vary. I had the hips/pelvis of my newest foster x-rayed last Friday for a whopping $40! Yep, just one zero on there. I knew she had been hit by a car, pelvis had been broken, she'd been on total rest for 8 weeks at the shelter, etc. But I needed to know how she was doing before I could adopt her out. She's not perfect, but she's good to go. The x-rays at my vet can easily be forwarded to her new vet when she is adopted. And I will make sure to explain fully to her new family about her injury, treatment & prognosis.

If the rescue refuses to help with costs, then my advice would be to talk to your vet again. Ask him how soon the x-rays need to be done & what the cost will be. Explain that while you want what is best for your pup, that finances are always a consideration. I think sometimes vets forget that - they are concentrating on the health of the animals, not the cost. Maybe you can safely delay the x-rays for a month or 2 while you save up, adjust your budget, etc. Since you have been a client for a while, your vet will probably be willing to work with you, maybe you can make small weekly or monthly payments up front even & then have the x-rays done.

BTW, your girl is gorgeous & that picture you posted is stunning.
Thank you so much for your response.

The person who replied in that message is in fact the president of the rescue and director. So unfortunately I can't go higher then her :(

My co worker suggested to me perhaps having my vet call their vet and try to find out information on the leg and what his thoughts were. I also don't have copies of Eevee's bordatella or distemper vaccines I realized. Then I also was reading through my adoption contract and there is this convenient clause "I hereby release *group name*for any errors or omissions in the information provided to me about this greyhound".

Too bad I didn't read it closer. Well I'm going to try calling my vet today and see what our options are. Thank you very much for your advice, I will see about payment plans.

And she thinks she's pretty stunning too haha. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know I am bringing up an old thread but does anyone know what happened. We need an update.
Well my vet wants to get an xray done on her leg. Unfortunately it could range anywhere from $135(do able) to $435. I'm trying to currently save up enough to have the full amount available for the xray. The vet said it isn't a big deal if it takes me a month or two to save up, as she's been on this bad leg like this for a year. I'm hoping I'll get my Christmas bonus within the next couple weeks and I can get it done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I brought home my new girl on November 13th. She is a two year old rescued grey hound. Here's the catch, she only has three functional legs. The third is basically dead weight. The group told us she has a frozen knee essentially, from being stepped on as a puppy. She never raced and she's been in the rescue for about a year.

I work for a local pet store where the greyhound group holds adoption clinics. I saw her every month at the clinic and just loved her but my apartment would not allow dogs. So in the end of October I moved to a new apartment that allowed a dog.

I filled out my adoption application and was approved. I explained to the group that my new apartment was on a second floor so there were stairs involved and if they felt she could not handle this, please let me know and I would choose a different dog. They thought she'd be alright, especially with a lift harness.

She is my first dog and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with a few things and would love some advice.

1. Okay..no one can really help me with this probably but she decided to eat the cat's wet food today then proceeded to have massive diarrhea on my floor. Thank god for hard wood flooring and Nature's Miracle! The smell was horrendous though! I can still kinda smell it when I walk through the living room...but I cleaned it all up and doused it in Nature's Miracle. I also got freaked out and ran to the store I work for and picked up some canned Pumpkin and Eagle Pack Digestive powder for her. Although she's showing no interest in eating said pumpkin.

2. She eats her wet food but hates her dry food. It's the same stuff that the foster family was feeding her(Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice). I really want to transition her to raw eventually but I am seriously scared to death that she will have crazy diarrhea again. Her poop even yesterday before her cat food experience, just wasn't quite right to me, smelled pretty strongly, a little mushy, and huge!

3. All she has pretty much done is sleep. She just lays around looking sad...all the time. I give her stuff to play with...try to play with her, give her stuff to chew on, but she pretty much just lays there all sad. I have a crate for her for bed time and for when I go to work(I have four days off right now that I took of to help her transition). And she loves her crate. Goes in it all the time to lay down on her own. At her foster home they had like 10 greyhounds there....do you think she's lonely? I have two cats and that's it...and they don't want to be friends with the new dog. She looks so sad.

4. She was whining in the middle of the night..around 3:30am, so I got up and took her out and she peed....but I don't want her to think that whining means you get to go out. Because she also whined again around 5:00am and I did not get up and take her out because I figured she was bluffing. Am I wrong?

5. This is the big one. The stairs. She is petrified of the stairs. She only had three stairs to go down at her old house and she'd usually just leap down them. I have two sets. One set of four stairs, then a landing, and then the stairs go up an additional six stairs. She refuses to use them. I have also tried using a lift harness and I've tried a plain old towel. She's scared to death. She is scared to even step the one step onto the porch/mudroom because she knows it means she has to look at the stairs. I've just been carrying her up and down but she's about 60lbs and it's getting old fairly quickly and there's no way that I can hold her that is really comfortable for her either it seems. It's funny though because if I bring her down the first six stairs, set her on the landing while I open the door after the four stairs, she will go down those. She usually kinda leaps down them. I think the only reason she will go down those four is because she can see outside, and because that's pretty close to what she was used to at her foster family's home.

I'm just scared to death that this whole thing was a mistake and that she won't be able to do the stairs, and then what? I want to give this dog the best life possible because she sure hasn't had it easy! I may just be overthinking things and over whelming myself...I don't know. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

And here's a picture for fun :)
View attachment 9825
We just rescued a bulldog from Mexico we in Canada same story we thought maybe we made a mistake but it takes time and patience... give her time , also cats will get use to her on their own time, try to put treats on the stairs to get her going and to feel comfortable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.