Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feeding my now three year old Ridgeback raw for almost a year and a half. We began our raw journey because he developed colitis at about 6 months old and after SEVERAL trips to the vet for antibiotics and endosorb, many checks for worms (there weren't any) fiber supplements, probiotics and many different vet kibble diets (none helped for any length of time). I am happy to say that my boy has not been on antibiotics since starting on raw!!! YAY!!! I started out feeding a mix of whole chicken legs and thighs with some ground beef and turkey now and then. He got a raw egg twice per week (we have our own chickens). I add in some canned salmon periodically and venison when my husband gets a deer. He did wonderfully....until he started off and on vomiting up the larger "knuckle" part of the chicken legs and thighs after being unable to pass them. He is not a bolter and I watched him chew every meal, he must at times have missed the larger bone ends. I then started bashing the larger bone parts with a small sledgehammer (UNPLEASANT!!)and impossible here in the winter! I bought a 1/2 horsepower grinder-not able to grind the bones. I then found a place- Bailey Farms in Marshall, WI I called and asked many questions! Bought their bulldogger mix which I mix with some chicken and turkey at times. The use of the liquid charcoal they use to denature scares me, but so does him being unable to pass some of the bone ends. He is a big boy weighing 100lbs. I give him right around 2 pounds per day. He looks amazing. Sorry for the long post, looking for some advice. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
How soon after eating does he vomit the bones back up? If it's the whole "knuckle" part of the bone, then he must have gulped it. If it came right back up after eating, he could have just eaten too fast, and give him a few minutes and he would probably re eat it.

Also, it sounds like at this point you should be feeding more proteins than what you listed. What about organs? do you feed any?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He doesn't vomit immediately after eating, usually several hours later. I agree that he must be swallowing the knuckle whole. The mix that I buy is 65% muscle meat, 20% bone, 15% organs (liver, heart, kidney). To this I add unground chicken alternating with turkey. So daily he gets, bone, beef, chicken and organs. We live in an area where there are many hunters and I get many venison scraps that I freeze and add periodically throughout the year. I am wondering what suggestions anyone might have as to what bones I can feed him that don't have the large "knuckle" end. He didn't vomit after I bashed the bones with a hammer, but I would like to find an alternative. I only smashed the large knuckle end he does fine with the more slender bones, he crunches them fine. Thanks for taking the time to answer! I appreciate any help I can get. None of the two vet offices here are on board with raw feeding! They are sure that I should switch him back to royal canine
, he was ill all the time on that!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
You can feed pork ribs. Pork is something that I think maybe you should add anyway. The more red meats the better, since deer is just periodically through the year. And when you do get deer, you can feed their ribs and necks for bone. Turkey backs/necks, and chicken backs too. It sounds to me like he just isn't adjusted enough to bone yet to be able to digest those "knuckle" pieces. Sometimes if their body isn't adjusted, that's how it gets rid of it. He eventually will, but it's going to take feeding whole bones more often, and ground mixes less.

99% of the vets you talk to won't be on board for raw. They don't have the nutritional knowledge to know anything about it. About all they learn on nutrition comes from kibble company reps who come into their offices selling them their kibble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will add some pork. I also will give the chicken a try again, it just scared me, I was afraid he may not be able to pass the larger undigested bones and would need surgery or worse. Always feels strange going against the vets, even when I disagree. He enjoyed the whole meats that I mixed myself over the ground mix I was purchasing. The raw has made his life much better and he went from being a dog that just laid around not wagging his tail to a happy playful guy who loves to go for runs! We won't ever go back to dry! I just have to work out a few bumps. Are there any "recipes" from a reliable source? As far as percentages that other raw feeders use.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Unless you are going to feed BARF style, which I really don't know much about, then there is no "recipe". It's just a variety of different whole meats/bones/organs. Here is a site with a good getting started guide, and forums of all raw feeders. Something for you to look at, and it may ease your mind on the bones as well. Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

Reactions: InkedMarie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.