Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by walmart last night to look around since I never go there, I picked up some chicken thighs, livers, gizzards, pork necks , but I found these turkey necks and they are huge!! normally the ones I get are like 1" thick, maybe 3-4 long, but these are like 2.5" thick and 6" long!! the whole time I'm thinking " god, I hope its really a turkey.."..lol, on the package it says natural with no additives, I highly doubt this turkey was not injected with steroids.. :eek:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
What you are seeing is a normal turkey neck. This is what you should be feeding your dogs. The ones you usually see in most grocery stores have been cut. Most of the turkey necks I have been feeding for 7 years are around a foot long and weigh about a pound. After re-reading your post, you may still have necks that have been cut in half and come either 2 or 4 in a package. I buy them in 30# cases and they come whole like I mentioned. The necks I use have to be bent to fit in a gallon ziplock and I can get about 2 in one ziplock.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, the ones I got before werent sliced across, they were like mini versions of the ones I got yesterday, but I guess this is a better deal.
Do you know if a store bought tripe is ok? I've heard somewhere that natural tripe should be green, not white since its bleached, but I havent seen green tripe anywhere.
thanks

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Interesting, the ones I got before werent sliced across, they were like mini versions of the ones I got yesterday, but I guess this is a better deal.
I have seen small turkey necks. I think they are called "young hen necks".

Do you know if a store bought tripe is ok? I've heard somewhere that natural tripe should be green, not white since its bleached, but I havent seen green tripe anywhere.
No, you don't want the bleached store bought tripe. The bleaching process wipes out all nutrients. You want green tripe and you won't find it at any grocery store. It is illegal to have green tripe in any building that sells food for human consumption. You will have to buy it at the slaughter house or from farmers who to their on slaughtering. You can order it on the internet both frozen or canned. I am a little wary of canned because canned is cooked but many people use it. It's a stinky mess. I don't fool with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts