Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Co-Op order is going in this Thursday and I am scrambling to try and find a freezer. Money is a little tight right now, so meh.

Anyway, I wonder if I should bother with beef ribs? I want the boys to eat more beef and pork, but I am worried that the ribs might be too hard on their teeth (Flip is about 45lbs, Jack is only 12).

Just how stinky are kidneys, anyway? Do they reek of ketones (urine smell) or are they alright?

I am reluctant to buy the Tilapia until I see how they do with whole fish, I haven't found any this winter yet.
I am thinking chicken quarters for sure, some kidney, beef ribs or heart and maybe pork butt?

Maybe I should wait until next order, but I am paying almost 40 cents per pound more on chicken quarters alone right now.

This is the list again:
Necks (40# - skinless) - .45
wings (40#) - 1.84
backs (40#) - .32
Ckx Qtrs (40# bulk - fresh) - .49
Chx Qtrs (4/10# - frozen) - .49
Ckx Drums (40# bulk fresh or frozen) - .69
Chx Drums - Smaller (40# ) .79 (fresh)
Chx Breast bone-in (40# - bulk) - .97
Chx Breast bone-in (12/40# - frozen) - .85
Ckx breast skinless/boneless (4/10# fresh) - 1.31
Ckx breast skinless/boneless (40# frozen) - 1.29
Ckx Liver (8/5#) - .69
Ckx Gizzards (4/10#) - .79
turkey Gizzards (30# bulk) - 1.09
turkey (12/1# tubes) - 1.15
turkey (2/10# tubes) - 1.12
hamburger (12/3# tubes) - 1.35
Beef Ribs (40#-50#) - .69
beef heart (50#-60#) - .69
beef liver (30#) - .89
beef kidney (30#) - .49
pork kidney (30#) - .49
Pork butt (50#-80#) - .89
Pork boneless rib(40#) - .99
whole Tilapia (with head) (40#) - 1.25

Reactions: Jodysmom

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I would wait on the Tilapia until your sure they will eat it whole and that kind. Get the chicken, beef heart, and beef ribs, good price and great chew for the teeth and it keeps them busy, hold off on the organs cause you'll only use so much and that's alot!. I usually just buy the small packages, and I like to use the lamb kidney and liver from my natural food co-op. Hope this helps.

Reactions: spookychick13

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has told you. Your list seems pretty good, but I'd hold off on the tilapia and organs for now because that's a lot of them! (especially with no freezer to store them in) Beef heart is great though but that's just so darn much! I'd say just get the leg quarters, beef ribs, and pork butt for now and hold off on the other stuff until you find a freezer. How often do they order?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think that quarters, kidney, ribs/heart and pork butt sound good for now. Those are my staple foods.

Kidney smell really isn't that bad at all.

I would wait on the fish too. I learned that mistake the hard way. Although Jon and Natalie are gonna benefit from that mistake when I head to Denver next week. :biggrin:

Richelle

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they order only once every few months. :(

I will try to nab tilapia from an asian market and see if the boys are interested in trying it.

I imagine my cavalier will eat just about anything I give him, he is a piggie.

The spoo is the picky one.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Definitely get Flip the beef ribs. It will give him a great workout. Great for the teeth too. I don't know if Jack can handle them though. I don't have a small dog so I wouldn't know! LOL :smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I think the beef ribs would be fine for both dogs. I give each of mine a beef rib every week. They don't actually eat the bone (well my GSD gnaws some off the ends) so they float around as chews for about a week, and then I toss the old ones and give them a fresh one the next week.

I would not place any bulk fish orders until you're sure they will eat whole fish of that kind. (annie will eat talapia, but not sardines whole) It's only a good deal if they'll eat it! lol.

That's quite a lot of organs as well. Organs aren't something that I order bulk.... though I may be getting a fourth dog so maybe I ought to reconsider that!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
That looks like the list of stuff that we get on a regular basis. About similar pricing too...so way to go!

If you do get organs, I suggest getting the beef or pork kidney (they do smell a bit "uriny" but its not that bad...about as bad as liver smells like liver LOL). I personally dislike chicken livers with a passion, because they are nothing but goo and our girls don't like them much so we have to force feed them. I like the bigger organs (liver and kidney) like beef and pork because they are firmer and cut up nice and easy. BUT beef liver is a PAIN in the a$$ to deal with because they are HUGE!!! And buying in bulk means that you get maybe 2 or 3 WHOLE livers...and they are a mess to deal with.

Even if you don't feed organs often, I personally like buying them in bulk because they are about 4 times as expensive if getting them from the store in small packages. You just gotta be able to store em...If you can't see if you can split an order of organs with another member in the co op? That way you can get organs for cheap, but not have to take the whole case of them.

Is there anyway to figure out how the beef heart comes? From our distributor it comes three different ways, and they always have different things when I call. Its either pre-chopped/cubed and packaged into 1.5-2 pound packages, or a whole ~2 pound chunk whole pre-packaged or WHOLE heart quarters that weigh about 5-10 pounds each (these have to be cut up and portioned out obviously). I prefer either of the pre-packaged cubed/chopped or the smaller whole chunk of it so I always ask what they have in stock. I would find out about this if I were you...because learning how to order meat in bulk is a constant learning process (I learn something new every time I do it, which is only once every 3-5 months LOL). I usually spend about a half hour on the phone asking about each item, how much it weighs, how it comes (ie packaged or not), cost per pound/per case, etc.

Oh, and also keep in mind that they may not have an item you want in stock...and to keep a backup plan if say something like chicken backs are out.

Lastly, your dogs will be fine with the beef ribs. The little guy Jack will have a blast getting all the meat off the bone. Don't worry about him breaking teeth...its rare for a little dog to break their carnassial teeth on bones because they just don't have the jaw power do do so like a big dog. Beef ribs are not dense enough to break teeth, at least in nearly all cases (I have yet to hear of one!).

Ha! Isn't raw feeding fun :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts