Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to order some different meats through a Co-op for fairly cheap, but I wanted to check and get some opinions on some.

Whole lamb necks? Has anyone fed these? I hear they are about 1.5-3lbs/neck, and the dogs chew the meat off and leave the bone. I am not sure how comfortable I am with that.

Lamb hearts? I feed beef heart, is there an advantage to feeding lamb hearts in addition to beef heart or are they pretty much the same?

Green Tripe? I don't really think dogs need this, but some people swear by it. I doubt I will get it. But if anyone feeds and has good reasons as to why would be helpful.

Lamb riblets? I am hoping the bone is soft and completely edible...I feel most comfortable with feeding bones like this.

Lamb foreshanks? Has the radius bone in it. I know it is a weight bearing bone, but maybe chewable?

I just know Jemma will TRY to chew ANY bone she encounters, I just don't want her to break any teeth.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am new to raw (only 2 weeks in tomorrow) so I can't help you with the lamb questions (wish I could, sorry). As for the green tripe, I have heard many many times that it is VERY stinky and that it is not essential in the diet... :smile:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Whole lamb necks? Has anyone fed these? I hear they are about 1.5-3lbs/neck, and the dogs chew the meat off and leave the bone. I am not sure how comfortable I am with that.
Don't be unconfortable.

Lamb hearts? I feed beef heart, is there an advantage to feeding lamb hearts in addition to beef heart or are they pretty much the same?
As far as I know, they are pretty much the same except they are from a different animal.

Green Tripe? I don't really think dogs need this, but some people swear by it. I doubt I will get it. But if anyone feeds and has good reasons as to why would be helpful.
Some people do swear by them. They are not the miracle food they sometimes get credit for. They are good to feed but no better than any other animal part.

Lamb riblets? I am hoping the bone is soft and completely edible...I feel most comfortable with feeding bones like this.
Lamb bones are editable

Lamb foreshanks? Has the radius bone in it. I know it is a weight bearing bone, but maybe chewable?
Lambs are not that big. Weight bearing bones of a lamb just don't bear that much weight. Feed them.

I just know Jemma will TRY to chew ANY bone she encounters, I just don't want her to break any teeth.
I would feel safe with lamb bones. Lamb is just too expensive where I live.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I feed lamb hearts all the time, lamb kidneys and lamb shoulder shank (when I can find it).
Just ordered some tripe through my raw feeders co-op and they get it from greentripe.com, people swear by it, it is stinky but who cares!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd feed everything but the tripe. I think the tripe is an unnecessary expense. I'd rather find some quality raw meats instead
Yeah, that is what I was leaning towards. Especially after seeing the deer kill last weekend...the coyotes didn't eat the stomach contents, so why should Jemma? :wink:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Yeah, that is what I was leaning towards. Especially after seeing the deer kill last weekend...the coyotes didn't eat the stomach contents, so why should Jemma? :wink:

Thanks!
I have to admit, that was pretty nasty!! But, a great shot...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.