Dog Food Chat banner

More Ignorance

11K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  sozzle 
#1 ·
Bill, I'm sure you'll love this one, as this person totally stubs on your best pal, Lonsdale.

Anyways, I posted up some information on Dog Food in a group on the site DeviantArt. LOVED the reply by one of the members. I'm not even going to bother trying to argue back, though, but just thought you guys might get a kick out of just how ignorant and stubborn this person is being about his/her knowledge on pet food.

#The-Siberian-Husky Blog on deviantART: Pet Food Nutrition

#2 ·
I wonder how big of a pet food display he has in his vet office.

I also wonder what MY vet would say to that - she is supporting my switch to raw food. She has no pet food displays in her office.

However, my emergency vet's office has quite a large one - and every time I go there, I get the same message - corn is fine, chicken byproducts are fine, I am basically an idiot because I won't listen to them.

In the end, you did what you could - put the info out there, and let people make their own decisions.

Now, I am not so sure about putting euthanized animals into dog food. I think that might be a stretch.

#12 ·
lol kids...

I remember taking Raw hamburger when my mom was cooking and eating it... still here :lol:

Reactions: jdatwood
#7 ·
There have been studies done that have found trace amounts of the drug used to euthanize these dogs and cats actually IN pet foods. And the sickest part is that it's actually legal for them to render dogs and cats back into pet foods. There's no laws against it.

#8 ·
Haha! When I first read the post, I was like, "WTH is Amanda talking about? I agree with everything here!" Then I saw xxshaelxx at the bottom, and it all came together for me.

THEN I read the response of the veterinary surgeon.:heh: She did a good job of proving how vets tend to know almost nothing about how their charges should be fed.

#13 ·
Kibble is GROSS!

OMG, this is sad and funny at the same time.

"I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait! I’ve always wanted to throw-up in public! But seriously, you think I’m kidding? Did you know that shit, pardon me, feces or excreta is legally allowed in pet food? Manufacturers are perfectly welcome to use it as a source of protein, according to our AAFCO. They call it Dried Poultry Waste and it listed in the AAFCO’s Official Publication as an ingredient definition of “Other Protein Sources”. Isn’t that special. I’m sorry, but, since when is shit, excuse me, poop, a yummy source of protein?"

#11 ·
Additionally, in my experience and based on the nutritional breakdowns of the diets 'natural' diets are far more likely to contain inappropriate ingredients that the extremely carefully and well designed commercial big brands of food.
... :twitch:

#15 ·
Does anyone besides me feel they have been subjecting their pets to animal cruelty for all these years, by feeding them this stuff? I mean - I am 53 years old and I just started feeding raw LAST WEEK! SO many years of feeding poop and dead animals to my dogs...

#17 ·
I feel bad for feeding Kibble to my dogs that i have owned in my adult years, But you can't always do the best if you don't know what is the best... My entire family thinks i'm bananas because i find such joy in giving Tobi all the nasties, while they are still feeding Science Diet :(
You need to have a serious talk with that boy!:twitch:
:lol:

I wish we had a video camera on our hikes, he takes leave it for the 1 pellet so we go through about 15 leave its before we move on from the horse pile!

#26 ·
Ok so the vet seems to be a bit of pompous british ass!!! But I would post this one on the site

It was posted on a rotti forum and I have no reason to doubt its validity.

Family dog that was put to sleep, wakes up hours later, finds new home

It is not a pleasant thought, and being that I believe the city and county of Los Angeles has a contract with a rendering company (West Coast Rendering) for road kill, restaurant grease, butcher scraps and euthanised shelter animals.

I think that the guy needs to look from under his rose tinted glasses!!

#29 ·
On vegan dogs: I read this a while ago and lost a whole lot of respect for this lady: Please Meet The Beasts | Bonzai Aphrodite

For those asking “why” a veg*n diet, there’s a few reasons. First and for clarity, dogs are not obligate carnivores in the way that cats are. They are true omnivores, which means they are *capable* of eating both plants and animals (but not that they *need* to). More specifically, they are opportunistic scavengers just the same as humans. That is to say they’ve evolved to pretty much take what they can get and survive on a variety of diets.
So, from an ethical standpoint, if my dogs do not NEED to eat animals, then it’s my moral obligation to cease contributing to animal suffering on their behalf.

#30 ·
I love how the person who doesn't agree with me just can't wrap his/her mind around the fact that it IS legal in the US and Canada to render pets put to sleep in shelters and veterinarian clinics, and justifies that by saying that it's not legal in the UK, so therefore it can't be here, and no respectable vet would ever do it.

#34 ·
Hey, guys, please remember that this discussion centers around crappy kibbles, because there are kibbles for people who don't have the resources to feed raw, or just really can't/don't want to. I think it's kind of wrong of us to just discount ALL kibbles. There are many great kibbles out there as well that don't utilize things such as pets in pet foods, or chicken feces, or anything else like that. So when talking about feeling bad for what you HAVE fed your pets, remember that there are still people on this forum that do feed kibble, and that they still want what's best for their dogs, even if they don't feed raw. There are even people on here that believe raw isn't the best either. ;)

#35 ·
I don't think it's the fact that all kibble is awful - I think it's the fact that the ingredients are hidden and disguised in such a way that most people (me) don't know what we are feeding our animals. I don't think ANYONE, no matter what they feed their dogs, would be ok with feeding euthanized dogs and cats.

Believe me, I was feeding dry dog food until very recently so I'm not criticising anyone for doing it.

#39 ·
hahahaha. I had, like, two pages of a reply written up, and I was, like, "Is this even worth it? It's just gonna start more problems, because this person is a b****. So I just deleted it and went on my way. Then I decided to write something up to make myself look like the better person. hahahaha.

#41 ·
I did considered myself to be done bad, because I was feeding them, Pedigree trying to save some money in this bad economy. My 12 years old Pom die for kidney disease and still I think if she probably were at the time in a better diet, she still will be here.
It is why I decide to start raw for my Senior Boxer. At least if I can extend her life a bit more, I am going to feel better with myself.
My daughter feed her dog Orijen and she love it and the results in her dog health.

#42 ·
Two things about Pedigree - first, for a less expensive dog food, i don't think they are that bad. Second, they give a HUGE amount to rescue. Huge. When I am donating to rescues, I always buy Pedigree for that reason.

And another thing - yes, I feel like i was awful for feeding my dogs dead dogs and chicken poop without knowing it. I DO feel like that was doing something awful - but I'm more angry at the pet food people for putting that in the food. Who would even DREAM that was going on? Not me, that's for sure.

Having said THAT - I was not always in a financial position to buy "good" dog food. yes, i have gone to the feed store and bought the biggest bag of cheap food that I could find. Had I known there was probably dead dogs in it, I wouldn't have done it. But there shouldn't have been dead dogs in it, in the first place.

I am disgusted with myself that i fed my dogs that stuff. It can't have been good for them. But if the bag had said "Dead dogs and chicken poop" I would never have bought it in the first place. I would have fed them vienna sausage.

#46 ·
I just ordered the book "Buyer Beware: The crimes, lies and truth about pet food"
I just finished reading this book, most of it was nothing new to me, but still some pretty disgusting information that I wished I did have to hear. What I found interesting is that its illegal to use diseased animals in pet food according to the FDA, yet its a common practice. In the book theres an excerpt taken from a personal account by pest control operator documenting what he saw at a rendering facility. Hopefully I can share it here:

" the plant was out in the middle of an open field and except fir a 15 foot parameter around the building, the weeds were waist to neck high. I entered the plant on a dirt drive that went up to a concrete parking slab in the front of the building;in front of the office door and a large overhead foor. The dirt drive went around one side of the building to the back where there was a concrete dump area with an overhead door going into the building. The concrete slab was sloped away from the building with a curb on both sides so that they could wash down the area. This is where the dead animals, parts and pieces of animals and other things to be rendered or processed were dumped. Between the dirt drive area and the building was junk parts and equipment piled up that obviously house a large colony of rats as you would see their trails in and out of the junk piles. The other dumping ground or machine parts, etc, out back was also full of rats. The concrete pad in the back where trucks dumped their loads had rat holes lining the curb that ran along the sides.
As you might imagine this area was loaded with flies; the piles of products were alive with maggots. It made it look like the whole pile of product was alive and moving. After the loads were dumped they were picked up by a bobcat (miniature loader with a scoop on the front) and hauled inside the plant to the rendering pit. The plant had 3 undocumented workers doing the labor, including running the bobcat. The pit was a concrete hole with sloped sides that was about 8 to 10 feet deep and it had four sides that were about 7 feet long. There was a small seam 1 inch wide about 4 feet down that ran all the way around the pit. This seam, as the ones in the corners, had several rat holes in them, so rats were living in the rendering pit.
At the bottom of the pit was an auger grinder that ground the product and augured in out to a bin to be cooked. The cooker was in the back corner of the plant that took up about 1/3 of the building. After it was cooked, it was pressed to eliminate the remaining moisture. Then it was seperated into different products and shipped off to one of their other plants to be further processed and packaged. I asked where the finished product was sent to: they said it was shipped to several different pet food plants. It seems the corporation had several rendering plants and contracts with numerous pet food plants. Not only were dead animals that died who know how were rendered, but also live rats, a lot of rat droppings plus all the dirt and concrete fragments that were removed from the rat holes in the pit and piles of maggots. But "that was ok" because it was just going for the pet food. What they were concerned about was the constant maintenance that the rats were causing by digging holes in the concrete and chewing through hoses and electric lines.
Maintenance expenses were getting too high and something had to be done. That is why they called me. it took a couple months, and several buckets of dead rats, but I did take care of their rat problem. In the meantime I found out that were a lot of the dead animals and other scaps and pieces came from. There were dead cows, pigs, horses, chickens various road kill, packaged meat from local supermarkets and waste from restaurants and fast food places. The most sickening thing that I saw was trucks that come from chicken farms. I call them chicken prisons that were supposedly full of dead chickens. When they were dumped, 90% of the chickens were dead, however there was always a few that were still alive, if you could call that alive. They were mostly featherless and staggering around obviously sick and dying. The picked them up and threw them into the pit alive to be ground up with the rest of the dump. Most of the cattle from the feed lots and farmers had plastic ear tags impregnated with Dursban or other insecticides that were places there to ward off flies. These tags were not removed, they were ground up with the cattles and the plastic and styrofoam containers that spoiled and rotten meat from the supermarkets came in. When I asked about the ear tags and the plastic and styrofoam they said that they could not afford to pay someone to remove them or unpackage the spoiled meats from the supermarkets. "Besides, they would be eliminated from the end products through rendering process.".

The point of this is that when you see meat byproducts listed on the label of your pet food, this could be what you could be feeding your pet. So when you see this on the label, I would encourage you to think twice about purchasing the product."

#47 ·
" the plant was out in the middle of an open field and except fir a 15 foot parameter around the building, the weeds were waist to neck high. I entered the plant on a dirt drive that went up to a concrete parking slab in the front of the building;in front of the office door and a large overhead foor. The dirt drive went around one side of the building to the back where there was a concrete dump area with an overhead door going into the building. The concrete slab was sloped away from the building with a curb on both sides so that they could wash down the area. This is where the dead animals, parts and pieces of animals and other things to be rendered or processed were dumped. Between the dirt drive area and the building was junk parts and equipment piled up that obviously house a large colony of rats as you would see their trails in and out of the junk piles. The other dumping ground or machine parts, etc, out back was also full of rats. The concrete pad in the back where trucks dumped their loads had rat holes lining the curb that ran along the sides.
As you might imagine this area was loaded with flies; the piles of products were alive with maggots. It made it look like the whole pile of product was alive and moving. After the loads were dumped they were picked up by a bobcat (miniature loader with a scoop on the front) and hauled inside the plant to the rendering pit. The plant had 3 undocumented workers doing the labor, including running the bobcat. The pit was a concrete hole with sloped sides that was about 8 to 10 feet deep and it had four sides that were about 7 feet long. There was a small seam 1 inch wide about 4 feet down that ran all the way around the pit. This seam, as the ones in the corners, had several rat holes in them, so rats were living in the rendering pit.
At the bottom of the pit was an auger grinder that ground the product and augured in out to a bin to be cooked. The cooker was in the back corner of the plant that took up about 1/3 of the building. After it was cooked, it was pressed to eliminate the remaining moisture. Then it was seperated into different products and shipped off to one of their other plants to be further processed and packaged. I asked where the finished product was sent to: they said it was shipped to several different pet food plants. It seems the corporation had several rendering plants and contracts with numerous pet food plants. Not only were dead animals that died who know how were rendered, but also live rats, a lot of rat droppings plus all the dirt and concrete fragments that were removed from the rat holes in the pit and piles of maggots. But "that was ok" because it was just going for the pet food. What they were concerned about was the constant maintenance that the rats were causing by digging holes in the concrete and chewing through hoses and electric lines.
Maintenance expenses were getting too high and something had to be done. That is why they called me. it took a couple months, and several buckets of dead rats, but I did take care of their rat problem. In the meantime I found out that were a lot of the dead animals and other scaps and pieces came from. There were dead cows, pigs, horses, chickens various road kill, packaged meat from local supermarkets and waste from restaurants and fast food places. The most sickening thing that I saw was trucks that come from chicken farms. I call them chicken prisons that were supposedly full of dead chickens. When they were dumped, 90% of the chickens were dead, however there was always a few that were still alive, if you could call that alive. They were mostly featherless and staggering around obviously sick and dying. The picked them up and threw them into the pit alive to be ground up with the rest of the dump. Most of the cattle from the feed lots and farmers had plastic ear tags impregnated with Dursban or other insecticides that were places there to ward off flies. These tags were not removed, they were ground up with the cattles and the plastic and styrofoam containers that spoiled and rotten meat from the supermarkets came in. When I asked about the ear tags and the plastic and styrofoam they said that they could not afford to pay someone to remove them or unpackage the spoiled meats from the supermarkets. "Besides, they would be eliminated from the end products through rendering process.".

The point of this is that when you see meat byproducts listed on the label of your pet food, this could be what you could be feeding your pet. So when you see this on the label, I would encourage you to think twice about purchasing the product."
1. I'm a combination of hopelessly sad/fuming angry that this kind of thing exists.

2. I'm really glad that I don't feed that to my dog.

#50 · (Edited)
And THAT is why I feel like I have been horrible to my dogs. Doesn't matter if I knew it or not. I like to think I am a basically intelligent person, yet I am not so sure when I think of how many bags of dog food I bought that had "byproducts" listed.

Edited to add: I'm just read the analysis of Pedigree. You're right, it's nothing to write home about. I'm not sure why I thought that it is ok.

#51 ·
I was curious to see if Hills has byproducts listed because so many vets swear by this food. I know our vet's waiting room is lined with Science and JD.:wacko: It has byproducts listed on the label!:tsk:
I wonder what it means when you see chicken byproducts? Does this mean it's filled with chicken poop as pictured in the "Roasted Ass" article? :yuck:

#52 ·
These are the first four ingredients in the Hills w/d formula the emergency vet and I have had such big arguments about (and in fact what led me to this board)

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Peanut Hulls, Chicken by-product Meal

Apparently cellolose is sawdust - I thought before it was probably the husks and stems of corn, but I guess not.

How in the h*&l can he look me in the eye and say that's a good food?

Even BEFORE I got here, I knew that was a load of crap.

Byproducts are everything that's not fit to eat - including feathers and poop. I guess they throw feet and beaks in there, which I guess is ok for dogs. And now, we see that the byproducts include rats, concrete, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.