Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is so hilarious - dogs aren't stupid, they trust you mean what you say, and if you say "leave it" for one thing, you don't necessarily mean it for ALL things that are exactly the same.

Like the old Jack Russell someone dumped off at our house - we had to teach him not to pee on all FOUR chair legs (for every chair), all corners of the couch etc. one at a time. It just cracked me up.
LMAO, I was watching a Dogtona video from last year of the "leave it" competition- the judges put a plate of hot dogs in front of the contestants and slowly moved them forward while the owners (without touching the dogs) had to say "LEAVE IT...". This greyhound left his own plate alone, but ate the hotdogs off the plate of his neighbor and then looked back at his laughing mom like "what?! You said leave my plate alone...and I did!". It was pretty funny.

This link...I love the OP's post, but the comments are dumb LOL.

Today I passed a new place called Indiana Veterinary Alternatives...I looked her up on FB (it's new enough she only has a Facebook, no actual website) and there were links about vegan diets for dogs? I was confused, LOL.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
LMAO, I was watching a Dogtona video from last year of the "leave it" competition- the judges put a plate of hot dogs in front of the contestants and slowly moved them forward while the owners (without touching the dogs) had to say "LEAVE IT...". This greyhound left his own plate alone, but ate the hotdogs off the plate of his neighbor and then looked back at his laughing mom like "what?! You said leave my plate alone...and I did!". It was pretty funny.

This link...I love the OP's post, but the comments are dumb LOL.

Today I passed a new place called Indiana Veterinary Alternatives...I looked her up on FB (it's new enough she only has a Facebook, no actual website) and there were links about vegan diets for dogs? I was confused, LOL.
Vegan dogs! lol cuz if humans can do it dogs sure can! :lol:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Too funny!
OMG, I can't tell you how many times I've told my puppy to "LEAVE IT", but apparently a lot because I actually gave my husband that command one day. It just came out, "Leave it!" and he immediately dropped what he had in his hands, and we both busted out laughing. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Does anyone besides me feel they have been subjecting their pets to animal cruelty for all these years, by feeding them this stuff? I mean - I am 53 years old and I just started feeding raw LAST WEEK! SO many years of feeding poop and dead animals to my dogs...
Yes. Absolutely yes. The more I learn, the more I think this. And I start thinking of my other pets I've had...like my beloved feline that passed away four years ago....and I wonder...yeah, he was 14 but he could have gone on longer....and I wonder...had I not been an idiot with the pet food and fed him raw, would he have lived longer, had a healthier ending....just died of old age instead? I loved that cat and sometimes, (like yesterday, at work, when I was sitting taking a break and just starting thinking), I'll get teared up thinking I killed him because of my ignorance.

You're not alone. At all.

And it disturbs me greatly that those who "care" for animals, as their job, won't even open their minds to learn. They are slammed shut and they don't even try to learn everything. Take the spoon feeding from Science Diet while you're in school and never bother to research outside of school...because everyone knows two things: The media and institutes of higher learning are NEVER BIASED! EVER! (sarcasm)

I'm thankful for my vet and the vet techs. The one may have flinched when I said, "organs" but they didn't tell me it was wrong. In fact, one tech told me that his uncle feeds his pets raw...although it was more like the BARF diet...but they didn't tell me I was wrong and didn't try to lecture me or tell me to try something different. Hearing all the stories on here, I'm sticking with this vet while I live in Miami. I'm very, very thankful.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Vegan dogs! lol cuz if humans can do it dogs sure can! :lol:
I left Seattle in 2003...I say that just to give you a time frame. I'm not saying all in Seattle are like this, (we have raw feeders here from Seattle so they don't all act like lunatics...), but I got to experience a lot of snide comments and rude remarks in my direction because, even though I was feeding that horrible kibble, I would look for kibble that had the first two ingredients be something meat, and the vegetarians and vegans that surrounded me, (where I lived), were beyond ticked off at me for it. They insisted I needed to feed my pets veggies...to be "kind" to nature.

I had a real nasty encounter one day when I asked one of them how they knew that the veggies weren't screaming when they were pulled from the ground. Didn't the veggies want to live, too? Yah, that didn't end well. LOL! But that veggie thing has been around for awhile....I shook my head then, I shake my head now. Maybe for humans it's ok....you do what you want, doesn't bother me but dogs? C'mon.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ok so the vet seems to be a bit of pompous british ass!!! But I would post this one on the site

It was posted on a rotti forum and I have no reason to doubt its validity.

Family dog that was put to sleep, wakes up hours later, finds new home

It is not a pleasant thought, and being that I believe the city and county of Los Angeles has a contract with a rendering company (West Coast Rendering) for road kill, restaurant grease, butcher scraps and euthanised shelter animals.

I think that the guy needs to look from under his rose tinted glasses!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Vegetarian dogs. Omnivores like humans are not supposed to be vegetarian. The people who do it to a dog should lose the right to have a dog based on floored judgment :-|

·
Registered
532 Posts
On vegan dogs: I read this a while ago and lost a whole lot of respect for this lady: Please Meet The Beasts | Bonzai Aphrodite

For those asking “why” a veg*n diet, there’s a few reasons. First and for clarity, dogs are not obligate carnivores in the way that cats are. They are true omnivores, which means they are *capable* of eating both plants and animals (but not that they *need* to). More specifically, they are opportunistic scavengers just the same as humans. That is to say they’ve evolved to pretty much take what they can get and survive on a variety of diets.
So, from an ethical standpoint, if my dogs do not NEED to eat animals, then it’s my moral obligation to cease contributing to animal suffering on their behalf.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I love how the person who doesn't agree with me just can't wrap his/her mind around the fact that it IS legal in the US and Canada to render pets put to sleep in shelters and veterinarian clinics, and justifies that by saying that it's not legal in the UK, so therefore it can't be here, and no respectable vet would ever do it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Does anyone besides me feel they have been subjecting their pets to animal cruelty for all these years, by feeding them this stuff? I mean - I am 53 years old and I just started feeding raw LAST WEEK! SO many years of feeding poop and dead animals to my dogs...
I feel the same way :( It is very hard when we are not educated. I am always blame myself for doing bad things to my children and dogs, because I did not knows better. In my times we did not have the Internet to answer to all our concerns. I even never spay a dog until probably 14 years ago.
Still learning tho!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I feel the same way :( It is very hard when we are not educated. I am always blame myself for doing bad things to my children and dogs, because I did not knows better. In my times we did not have the Internet to answer to all our concerns. I even never spay a dog until probably 14 years ago.
Still learning tho!
Yep - I don't even want to think about what I did to my kid!!!

We spayed the females, but left the males intact. However, you probably remember many years ago how expensive it was to spay or neuter a dog - not like today. you couldn't go down to a low-cost place and get it done for $60.

Being young and living hand to mouth in the first place, it was often very difficult to pay for the operation but I always managed somehow (usually by asking my parents for money) because I didn't want a litter that would give me MORE females to spay.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey, guys, please remember that this discussion centers around crappy kibbles, because there are kibbles for people who don't have the resources to feed raw, or just really can't/don't want to. I think it's kind of wrong of us to just discount ALL kibbles. There are many great kibbles out there as well that don't utilize things such as pets in pet foods, or chicken feces, or anything else like that. So when talking about feeling bad for what you HAVE fed your pets, remember that there are still people on this forum that do feed kibble, and that they still want what's best for their dogs, even if they don't feed raw. There are even people on here that believe raw isn't the best either. ;)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Hey, guys, please remember that this discussion centers around crappy kibbles, because there are kibbles for people who don't have the resources to feed raw, or just really can't/don't want to. I think it's kind of wrong of us to just discount ALL kibbles. There are many great kibbles out there as well that don't utilize things such as pets in pet foods, or chicken feces, or anything else like that. So when talking about feeling bad for what you HAVE fed your pets, remember that there are still people on this forum that do feed kibble, and that they still want what's best for their dogs, even if they don't feed raw. There are even people on here that believe raw isn't the best either. ;)
I don't think it's the fact that all kibble is awful - I think it's the fact that the ingredients are hidden and disguised in such a way that most people (me) don't know what we are feeding our animals. I don't think ANYONE, no matter what they feed their dogs, would be ok with feeding euthanized dogs and cats.

Believe me, I was feeding dry dog food until very recently so I'm not criticising anyone for doing it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Wait. What? I thought this discussion was about the fact that a vet replied to your blog post about PMR saying that it was bad/dangerous and we should feed our pets a good kibble instead. Then the discussion got off track, but originally, I thought this was about how once again a veterinarian was bashing something she knew nothing about.

Did I miss something? Because that's pretty much raw vs. kibble...

And yes, I DO think that all kibbles are crappy. Some much less so than others, but crappy nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wait. What? I thought this discussion was about the fact that a vet replied to your blog post about PMR saying that it was bad/dangerous and we should feed our pets a good kibble instead. Then the discussion got off track, but originally, I thought this was about how once again a veterinarian was bashing something she knew nothing about.

Did I miss something? Because that's pretty much raw vs. kibble...

And yes, I DO think that all kibbles are crappy. Some much less so than others, but crappy nonetheless.
No, I just noticed that a couple of raw feeders were saying how they felt like they were such horrible people for ever feeding kibble, and I just wanted to make sure everyone realizes that they're talking about junk kibble, not the good brand kibbles that other members of the forum use.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Oh. Gottcha.

I do want to commend you for your remarkable restraint to the vet's response. :thumb: :becky:
hahahaha. I had, like, two pages of a reply written up, and I was, like, "Is this even worth it? It's just gonna start more problems, because this person is a b****. So I just deleted it and went on my way. Then I decided to write something up to make myself look like the better person. hahahaha.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts