Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bill, I'm sure you'll love this one, as this person totally stubs on your best pal, Lonsdale.

Anyways, I posted up some information on Dog Food in a group on the site DeviantArt. LOVED the reply by one of the members. I'm not even going to bother trying to argue back, though, but just thought you guys might get a kick out of just how ignorant and stubborn this person is being about his/her knowledge on pet food.

#The-Siberian-Husky Blog on deviantART: Pet Food Nutrition

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I wonder how big of a pet food display he has in his vet office.

I also wonder what MY vet would say to that - she is supporting my switch to raw food. She has no pet food displays in her office.

However, my emergency vet's office has quite a large one - and every time I go there, I get the same message - corn is fine, chicken byproducts are fine, I am basically an idiot because I won't listen to them.

In the end, you did what you could - put the info out there, and let people make their own decisions.

Now, I am not so sure about putting euthanized animals into dog food. I think that might be a stretch.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Well, blow me down.

You know, this is how mad cow disease got started. At one time, it was legal to feed cows the byproducts of other cows/sheep, forcing them to be carnivores.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Isn't it crazy? And what really boggles my mind....how many people think raw food contains more bacteria?:painkiller:
I hate to admit this, but when I was a kid, my brother and I ate a milk bone dog biscuit to see how it tasted!:yuck:

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You know, I kind of get taking all the crap they toss out from rendering animals and putting it in dog food - but euthanized animals? I mean, that's just insane.

Oh, I've eaten Alpo!! God knows what was in that - so don't feel bad about your milk bone.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There have been studies done that have found trace amounts of the drug used to euthanize these dogs and cats actually IN pet foods. And the sickest part is that it's actually legal for them to render dogs and cats back into pet foods. There's no laws against it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Haha! When I first read the post, I was like, "WTH is Amanda talking about? I agree with everything here!" Then I saw xxshaelxx at the bottom, and it all came together for me.

THEN I read the response of the veterinary surgeon.:heh: She did a good job of proving how vets tend to know almost nothing about how their charges should be fed.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Questionable scientific integrity?

Dogs and wolves being completely different species?

I am surprised at how closed minded this person is. I have found that *most* vets these days are at least open to the possibility of a raw diet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Additionally, in my experience and based on the nutritional breakdowns of the diets 'natural' diets are far more likely to contain inappropriate ingredients that the extremely carefully and well designed commercial big brands of food.
... :twitch:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Isn't it crazy? And what really boggles my mind....how many people think raw food contains more bacteria?:painkiller:
I hate to admit this, but when I was a kid, my brother and I ate a milk bone dog biscuit to see how it tasted!:yuck:
lol kids...

I remember taking Raw hamburger when my mom was cooking and eating it... still here :lol:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Also, I came across this website yesterday when I was looking for info on mad cow (sorry, again, BrownieM): Freshly Roasted Ass: What A Rendering Plant Smells Like « Poisoned Pets

Kibble is... SERIOUSLY gross.
Kibble is GROSS!

OMG, this is sad and funny at the same time.

"I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait! I’ve always wanted to throw-up in public! But seriously, you think I’m kidding? Did you know that shit, pardon me, feces or excreta is legally allowed in pet food? Manufacturers are perfectly welcome to use it as a source of protein, according to our AAFCO. They call it Dried Poultry Waste and it listed in the AAFCO’s Official Publication as an ingredient definition of “Other Protein Sources”. Isn’t that special. I’m sorry, but, since when is shit, excuse me, poop, a yummy source of protein?"

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Does anyone besides me feel they have been subjecting their pets to animal cruelty for all these years, by feeding them this stuff? I mean - I am 53 years old and I just started feeding raw LAST WEEK! SO many years of feeding poop and dead animals to my dogs...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Does anyone besides me feel they have been subjecting their pets to animal cruelty for all these years, by feeding them this stuff? I mean - I am 53 years old and I just started feeding raw LAST WEEK! SO many years of feeding poop and dead animals to my dogs...
I feel bad for feeding Kibble to my dogs that i have owned in my adult years, But you can't always do the best if you don't know what is the best... My entire family thinks i'm bananas because i find such joy in giving Tobi all the nasties, while they are still feeding Science Diet :(
You need to have a serious talk with that boy!:twitch:
:lol:

I wish we had a video camera on our hikes, he takes leave it for the 1 pellet so we go through about 15 leave its before we move on from the horse pile!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I wish we had a video camera on our hikes, he takes leave it for the 1 pellet so we go through about 15 leave its before we move on from the horse pile!
That is so hilarious - dogs aren't stupid, they trust you mean what you say, and if you say "leave it" for one thing, you don't necessarily mean it for ALL things that are exactly the same.

Like the old Jack Russell someone dumped off at our house - we had to teach him not to pee on all FOUR chair legs (for every chair), all corners of the couch etc. one at a time. It just cracked me up.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are still feeding dead animals to your dogs....:wink:

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are still feeding dead animals to your dogs....:wink:
True - I guess I should say - dead cats and dogs!

I guess it would be kind of hard to do the raw diet without including dead animals.

by the way, I know someone who just put their dog on a vegetarian diet. They actually make that food.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts