Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I went to wal mart, not even looking for meat for the dogs (my full sized upright freeser is already full of meat that I haven't even opened let alone packaged yet, I have a turkey and pork roast in my freeer inside, and about a month worth of days already packaged in the chest freezer....) but I just can NOT pass up a good deal!!

Beef Brisket (I've never bought one, actually) was on sale for $1.09/lb marked down from $3.13, then to $2.01. It's "sell by" date is today, so it went straight to the freezer, but holy cow, what a deal! I have a hard time finding affordable beef, especially not ground. usually I am stuck paying almost $2/lb for ground beef.

Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast marked down to $.79/lb which is normally $1.19 here.

and Chicken quarters $3/ bag! I've never seen them lower than $4!

So, once again, we bought everything on the shelf, and had to rearrange all three freezers to get it all to fit. I remember thinking when we bought the chest freezer "Oh good, now all their meat will be out of our freezer, and we can stock up!"
Then that got too small, and we bought the full sized upright, and I thought to myself "No way we will even need all this space! we're set!"
Then that crazy $.25/lb turkey sale got to me, and then half my little inside freezer was dog food once again. Now of the three freezers in my house, there's not an inch of space to spare.

ETA: I feel so good about what I'm doing for my dogs. I don't understand why people are so afraid of raw, nor why they think it must be"SO expensive." During the same trip to wal mart, I noticed that Beneful was over $27 for a 30 lb bag. That's insane. I'm spending less on average per pound to give my dog a species appropriate natural raw diet, and they're spending more on a bag of corn, by products, artificial coloring, and fillers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Score! It's so hard for me to walk by the "deals," but with the new batch of back and necks coming in I'll be full up and then some!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Nice score!!!

I feel so much better about our dogs too, it's amazing.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wow your dogs are set for a long time now! Yeah I always laugh when people think it is too expensive as well. "Umm how much are you paying per pound for your Orijen?"

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I can't pass up a deal either!:biggrin: My raw co-op just posted natural beef chunks/bones, different ways to buy, someone on the board has a in with a butcher. chunks/bone for 1.12 or what I'm getting (even though I've got lots) is large chunked no bone packaged in 9lb packages fo 1.45 a lb. My dogs are so spoiled:rolleyes:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts