Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that mixing kibble and raw can cause an upset tummy, but what about raw in the morning and home-cooked in the evening?

I have completely switched Aspen over to raw, but a long time ago I always wanted to do this. Would this have been a bad idea?

·
Banned
493 Posts
From experience, I used to feed my Lucky EVO kibble in the morning and raw in the evening, without any problem.

Separating the two between two different meals should be fine:smile:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From experience, I used to feed my Lucky EVO kibble in the morning and raw in the evening, without any problem.

Separating the two between two different meals should be fine:smile:
I mean mixing home-cooked and raw in the same bowl...

·
Banned
493 Posts
I mean mixing home-cooked and raw in the same bowl...
Oh, ok sorry about that. Mixing them in the same bowel, or do you mean feeding raw in the morning and home cooked in the evening?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, ok sorry about that. Mixing them in the same bowel, or do you mean feeding raw in the morning and home cooked in the evening?
Yea, I mean mixing raw and cooked in the same bowl at one feeding...

·
Banned
493 Posts
To be honest with you, I'm not really sure, however I wouldn't think it would be a very good idea considering raw meat digests a lot faster than cooked meat. These contradicting digestion rates could cause intestinal upset, by I guess you could give it a try, and see what happens. :smile:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest with you, I'm not really sure, however I wouldn't think it would be a very good idea considering raw meat digests a lot faster than cooked meat. These contradicting digestion rates could cause intestinal upset, by I guess you could give it a try, and see what happens. :smile:
Well, I did want to try it about a year ago, but now I have him on completely raw. Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Can I ask out of curiosity why you would want to cook the meat for him? I'm seriously just wanting to know why... :wink:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It may have upset his tummy but then again, it may not have. Some dogs are more sensitive to these things than others. How's Aspen's raw feeding going so far?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may have upset his tummy but then again, it may not have. Some dogs are more sensitive to these things than others. How's Aspen's raw feeding going so far?
He's loving it....some lose stools today, but not diarrhea. Is this the detox stage?

·
Banned
493 Posts
Don't worry too much about the loose stool. This also happened to my dog when I first switched her to raw. It just takes a bit of time for her system to adjust to the new diet.

In the meantime, although there is not problem with just waiting it out, here are some natural remedies to firm up your dog's stool;

-Add some canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to his diet. Generally, you starting with somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon depending on the size of your dog.

-Some plain yogurt may help which has probiotics in it which aid in intestinal/colon health. Again, generally somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon depending on the size of the dog.

-If your dog seems to have any intestinal discomfort throughout this transition process, you could try some peppermint or chamomile herbals teas or extracts which have been proven to act as an antispasmodic aiding in intestinal discomfort.

*Overall, I'd just wait it out. This is just the transition process with it's evident side effects. If his stool is still loose in a few more weeks, you could consider trying some of the methods above. Again, you could try these methods, but if left alone everything should work out just fine. :smile:

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't worry too much about the loose stool. This also happened to my dog when I first switched her to raw. It just takes a bit of time for her system to adjust to the new diet.

In the meantime, although there is not problem with just waiting it out, here are some natural remedies to firm up your dog's stool;

-Add some canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to his diet. Generally, you starting with somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon depending on the size of your dog.

-Some plain yogurt may help which has probiotics in it which aid in intestinal/colon health. Again, generally somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon depending on the size of the dog.

-If your dog seems to have any intestinal discomfort throughout this transition process, you could try some peppermint or chamomile herbals teas or extracts which have been proven to act as an antispasmodic aiding in intestinal discomfort.

*Overall, I'd just wait it out. This is just the transition process with it's evident side effects. If his stool is still loose in a few more weeks, you could consider trying some of the methods above. Again, you could try these methods, but if left alone everything should work out just fine. :smile:
I think I'll just wait it out...I don't like to add a bunch of stuff to his diet. Other than the loose stools, he's doing fantastic!!!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sorry Todd...

Mall, don't listen to Todd. He means well but he's been giving some sketchy advice lately.

The purpose of going on raw is to eliminate unneeded things in his diet right?

If his stools are a little loose, just feed more bone in the next few meals. That should tighten it up.

Adding in other things to "cover up" the real issue can just create more problems.

Raw feeding is simple if you don't try over complicating it with suggestions like Todd's.

If stools are loose/soft, feed more bone.

If they're dry and crumbly, feed less bone

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I DON'T want to cook the meat for him now, I'm just asking what would happen if I did back then?
Hard to say...but I would think from what you have told me about him that he would have handled it fine.

But its great that you have seen the light and now know that is not necessary to cook the meat that you feed him :wink:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
He's loving it....some lose stools today, but not diarrhea. Is this the detox stage?
It could be, but are you still going with tilapia/fish right now for her first two weeks? That could be it since the bones in fish are just tiny. Chicken bones are much larger and more substantial so switching to chicken instead may help. If you're already doing chicken, then it's probably just Aspen's body adjusting.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I DON'T want to cook the meat for him now, I'm just asking what would happen if I did back then?
Nothing bad would have happened. It's just that he wouldn't have received as much nutrition and he would have needed a calcium source. Some of the enzymes that help in digestion would have been destroyed.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Sorry Todd...

Mall, don't listen to Todd. He means well but he's been giving some sketchy advice lately.

The purpose of going on raw is to eliminate unneeded things in his diet right?

If his stools are a little loose, just feed more bone in the next few meals. That should tighten it up.

Adding in other things to "cover up" the real issue can just create more problems.

Raw feeding is simple if you don't try over complicating it with suggestions like Todd's.

If stools are loose/soft, feed more bone.

If they're dry and crumbly, feed less bone
I didn't mean for her to feed her dog other things to cover up the problem now. I said that it would be just fine to wait it out. The methods that I listed like adding pumpkin or herbal teas, are more for using if the dog is suffering from discomfort. Sometimes loose stools can cause some intestinal discomfort.

It sounds like your dog is feeling fine, so just wait it out, and like jdatwood said, add some more bone to firm the stool up.

Sorry is some of my advice isn't always the best thing to do, but I am fairly new to raw feeding. I've only been feeding my dog raw for around a month or so.

·
Banned
493 Posts
It could be, but are you still going with tilapia/fish right now for her first two weeks? That could be it since the bones in fish are just tiny. Chicken bones are much larger and more substantial so switching to chicken instead may help. If you're already doing chicken, then it's probably just Aspen's body adjusting.
Yea, if you're feeding him fish, this could be contributing to the problem, for the fatty acids in fish can cause loose stools.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
IMO, "detox" is a mythical name given to a condition dogs have whose digestive system is adjusting to digesting real food. It takes different enzymes to digest real food than the artificial food he has been fed in the past. "Detox" has nothing to do with ridding the body of toxins.

If you have never eaten Mexican food and travel to Mexico and eat the local food, the results are likely to be the same as what some call "detox" in newly switched dogs. It would be the same with going to China or Japan or most any other country whose staple diet is different from what you are used to eating.

ETA: In a short while, his body will adjust to the new food and all will be ok. Like Jon said, just feed some more bone and feed smaller meals for a few days and it will all work itself out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts