Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I think it has a lot of grains and really not enough meat. Protein is too low for me at 23%. It also has a lot of inappropriate ingedients for a dog...

When I had Aspen on kibble, he was on EVO Turkey and Chicken with 42% protein.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 23.0%
Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.0%
Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%

Ingredients:
Organic Chicken, Oatmeal, Barley, Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Flaxseed, Freeze Dried Potatoes, Freeze Dried Carrots, Freeze Dried Peas, Dried Chicken Liver, Freeze Dried Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it has a lot of grains and really not enough meat. Protein is too low for me at 23%. It also has a lot of inappropriate ingedients for a dog...

When I had Aspen on kibble, he was on EVO Turkey and Chicken with 42% protein.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 23.0%
Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.0%
Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%

Ingredients:
Organic Chicken, Oatmeal, Barley, Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Flaxseed, Freeze Dried Potatoes, Freeze Dried Carrots, Freeze Dried Peas, Dried Chicken Liver, Freeze Dried Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lysine, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
Which ingredients are "innappropriate," for a dog?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ANybody using this food?

Good?

Comments?

Merrick is a Texas made product. If you are switching from Beneful then yes Merrick is a good food. If you are inquiring due to problems with your current diet, you need to make sure to ask "Where is this dog food made"
I am switching from Innova, he wasnt eating it . He loves this merrick Grammys pot pie, though

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I wouldnt feed it, its way too grainy.

I have used the canned food before which my dog likes, but its too expensive to be used on regular basis.
My neighbor has switched his dogs from innova to taste of the wild, they would never eat the innova for some reason, but love totw.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Which ingredients are "innappropriate," for a dog?
Ingredients:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks are those ingredients harmful to him?

Poisonous?

Ingredients:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
^^^^
Not harmful, just unnecessary. Also, I look at them more as filler than nutrients. But as far as filler goes, they're not bad. :wink:

Richelle

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
When Rocky was a pup I had tried him on one bag of the Merricks dry and he actually would spit those little freeze dried vegetables all over the floor. He never did well on their canned food either, it gave him and Chelsy the runs (their stew versions). I personally think there are way too many ingredients in the Merrick. He now eats Evo dry and a variety of canned (but not Merrick).

I wouldn't go with the Merrick just because your dog loves it. You can't always go by what the dog loves.....dogs actually love the taste of Beneful I've been told by my mother-in-law before I educated her! Find one that they like and that is the best you can get for them (and afford) with the least number of unneccessary ingredients.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is Merrick made in the USA?

ANy chance Chinese poison melamine will end up in Merrick?

Right now hes eating it, and as far as I can tell he's doing fine.

I had him on the Innova but he wasnt eating it, so what good is that?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
^^^^If he wasn't eating it and you gave into it, that means that you are creating a picky eater and he got his way. He has to eat what you give him. How long did you wait for him to eat before you went and bought merricks?

Honestly, I don't know about the Chinese poisoning. And yes, it's made in the USA.

Merrick Pet Foods : merrickpetcare.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^^If he wasn't eating it and you gave into it, that means that you are creating a picky eater and he got his way. He has to eat what you give him. How long did you wait for him to eat before you went and bought merricks?

Honestly, I don't know about the Chinese poisoning. And yes, it's made in the USA.

Merrick Pet Foods : merrickpetcare.com
He was on the Innova for about 2 months

1 - 14 of 14 Posts