Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my 8 year old Golden Retriever Canidae for a number of years. As many of you know, they have changed formula recently and it has not agreed with my dog at all. After a recent vet visit to help her through her problems, I decided to put her on California Natural to give her system a rest. This is working out fine and she is once again a happy dog. After a while I would like to try her on one of the no-grain foods. My research has led me to the Merrick Before Grain foods. I like the lower protein of 32% vs the 42% of most of the other foods without grains. Have any of you folks had any experience with the Merrick Before Grain foods and/or with this firm's other foods. I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I have no experience with Merrick, but if you're looking for grain-free with lower-ish protein, you might also look into Wellness Core, its around 32 -34% protein as well and it worked pretty well for my dog before I switched her to raw.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Because people hear scary things about the adverse effects it can have on dogs. Probably true of kibble food (especially corn-based ones, though I know RFD believes all kibble is mostly garbage). I'm under the impression that it's quality not quantity that counts IMO

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont think there is anything wrong with a lot of protein for MOST dogs. Mine has been on Evo for a few months and is doing amaizing on it, no problems, and my cats were on the Merrick No grain and also did well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After a struggle with my Catahoula's weight and refusing to feed the corn based food my vet suggested I switched all my dogs over to Merrick BG. I am extremely pleased. Hondo is at his premium weight and all four of my dogs are eating the same food. Before I had weight loss, active dog, puppy and Chihuahua. Now all dogs are eating the same food. I also feed Merrick Turducken dry and the wee ones (Chihuahua's) get a small amount of Merrick canned Wingalings. About twice a week I also give Honest Kitchen to my dogs, it is really expensive so I give what I can afford.

Here is a pic of treeing a squirrel (the evil of all evils). His energy level from the weight loss is fantastic. Acts like he is 2 years old again. He is 7!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts