Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so everything is going well so far but I have a couple meat questions:

1. It's time for me to start adding beef so I went on a hunt for beef heart. I went to 3 grocery stores and couldn't find it. I thought this was something pretty readily available - is anyone else getting it from the grocery store or from your regular raw food source?

2. I picked up some frozen smoked turkey necks today at the grocery store (while hunting for beef heart). They looked a bit different from the ones I got from my butcher. I'm wondering now if these are safe to give Koda. Are there any watchouts?

Thanks,
Jean

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am also new to raw, so I could be wrong here but I am staying away from smoked. I feel like it is TO cooked and to be safe rather than sorry I just get pure raw.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I wouldn't feed the smoked turkey necks, they are cooked. Smoking is the process of very low heat cooking. But cooked turkey bones either way are dangerous.

We only get beef heart from a wholesale distributor. Maybe look at any ethnic markets for it?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have never found beef heart outside of an ethnic store. I think it's just a regional thing.:frown:

I think that the turkey necks found in mosr grocery stores (smoked OR raw) have been cut in half. I bought them once, and they were borderline too-small. Ania tends to be a good chewer, though, so I fed them anyway. But I never bought turkey necks from the grocery store again.

You could make some really great soups with those smoked necks! But I wouldn't feed them to Koda. :wink:

Richelle

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Just ask the meat guy at the grocery store what they do with the heart, I always find heart at our grocery stores here, I bet he has someone he saves it for and thats why you don't see it out in the meat section.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - I should have known better about the smoked turkey necks. I only opened one package so I should be able to return the other.

Live and Learn!

- Jean

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
we have a local grocery store where they sell beef heart. i suspect it has ties to mexico, because of some of the labels.

this is the place i had talked about before, that sells no roll beef (usda inspected, just not graded)....

they have heart and feet and i can buy turkey necks/chicken backs......by the case...just not feet.

if you have a butcher near you, you can ask them too....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts