Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a heck of a time keeping weight on my almost 2 yr old intact boxer. He eats about 2.5lbs of food a day. As soon as I get him to a decent weight he drops back down. He's not scary thin, just a bit lean for my liking. I live in a cold climate and think he'd be warmer if he had some more meat on him. I could up his food a little but I notice if I overfeed him he gets loose stool. He's been on raw most his life- I tried him on kibble for a short stint but that was TERRIBLE. Maybe more fats in general?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thin is healthy for dogs (and humans). By far the greatest majority of dogs in today's world are too fat. You should be able to see his back 2 ribs. You should be able to see a definite waist line behind his ribcage when viewed from above. You should not be able to see his hip bone or spine. Those criteria will guide you in keeping your dog at a healthy weight. If you can't see his back 2 ribs, he is too fat already.

If you see his hip bone and/or spine and you want to add weight, more fat in the diet should do the trick if it doesn't give him soft stools.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he's lean, not too skinny but our vet today said he'd like to see a li.tle more weight on him. He's a little too lean for the cold and his body structure. He's so active he drops weight fast/ I'll try adding more fats slowly.

My female is also very lean but healthy. She stays the same weight regardless of activity level or amounts of food.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do you have any pictures of him? Boxers are supposed to be lean dogs, in fact seeing a couple ribs is normal. Now, if his spine and hip bones are sticking out, then he would be a little too thin.
How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have any pictures of him? Boxers are supposed to be lean dogs, in fact seeing a couple ribs is normal. Now, if his spine and hip bones are sticking out, then he would be a little too thin.
How much does he weigh?
trust me I KNOW, I am not naive about how a boxer should look. He is a touch too lean for his structure and our activity level.

My vet commented on adding a little bulk to him. Like I said I live in a cold climate and we spend a lot of time outdoors. By adding a little bulk to him he may not get AS cold outside.

Just looking for food ideas to help him out.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Maybe try adding some marrow bones for him to chew on during the day. Marrow has a lot of fat and should put a bit of weight on him. Also, as you said, just increase his feeding to maybe 3 pounds and see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know not everyone is a fan of adding any suppliments or extra fats - but I add Organic Coconut Oil to my dogs food. The dogs LOVE the taste, and their coats are AMAZING. That could be an option for you to add the 'fat' to his diet, without having to add more food.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I agree with you that adding more fat to your dog's diet gradually will be the best way to get a little more meat on his bones. While ground meat isn't ideal, you can get some really fatty ground beef (which is also less expensive) once or twice a week gradually should help. What exactly do you feed him right now?

Also, adding salmon oil is a great way to add really good fat to the diet, and of course, it has nothing but benefits for your dog: skin and coat, extra fat, DHA for cognitive functions, and good for the joints! :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Maybe try adding some marrow bones for him to chew on during the day. Marrow has a lot of fat and should put a bit of weight on him. Also, as you said, just increase his feeding to maybe 3 pounds and see what happens.
Marrow bones are weight bearing bones and can break dogs teeth. I don't recommend giving them in any situation.

I second the idea of adding in a fattier ground beef to add on weight, but keep in mind that the added fat can cause secondary issues depending on the dog.

I don't think anyone was trying to imply that you don't know about boxers. In my experience here, when people post about their dogs needing to gain weight they actually don't need to in reality because a lot of people don't know how to judge their dogs body condition.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I do agree that you should post pictures though, but only because I want to see your cute boxers :biggrin:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, i also have two boxers and would love to see yours!
Didn't mean to offend it's just that many people have misconceptions about what their dog SHOULD look like. Even people come on a boxer forum i frequent and are worried, thinking their dog should be heavier (more like an american bulldog.) I wouldn't take the vet's advice as gold, they might not be up to standards for every breed (we couldn't really expect them to be realistically.)
I had a vet once that told me my boxer's underbite was going to cause him problems :rolleyes: All boxers have an underbite.
Still, not saying you can't tell if yours is too thin :)
My girl has lost a bit of weight in her old age and her spine (not her hips) is starting to show, but I think it's loss of muscle mass. She's getting some extra food anyway though.
How much does he weigh? Just seeing what percentage of his weight you are feeding him...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts