Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure my dog has Lyme Disease and I'm looking for others who have approached treatment from a holistic standpoint. I'm currently treating myself (well, under the care of an ND) for Lyme and want to go the same route for my dog as I'm hoping to avoid any antibiotics.

Just looking to see if anyone has any success stories/tips on herbs that work. I'm having a hard time finding a holistic vet in my area who is familiar with treating Lyme, and I've read a great deal about it online, but just curious to hear from someone specifcally that helped their dog get Lyme into remission without those strong drugs.

Also, no replies on how I need to give her antibiotics. I'm confident in our treatment choices and in the decision to not use antibiotics so I'm not asking for opinions on that.

Reactions: Ethel

·
Registered
552 Posts
why are you saying you are pretty sure your dog has lyme? what tests have you done so far. you want to make sure you titer before and after treatment so you can see if it's working.

you can treat lyme disease with ledum. if you google that and Dr. Tobin you should find some stuff by a meriden, ct vet who may do consultations with the holistic vet in your area. you really need to have a holistic vet on board to treat this successfully because lyme can really wreak havoc on a body, although many say it's worse in human than dogs but I take it very seriously

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
why are you saying you are pretty sure your dog has lyme? what tests have you done so far. you want to make sure you titer before and after treatment so you can see if it's working.

you can treat lyme disease with ledum. if you google that and Dr. Tobin you should find some stuff by a meriden, ct vet who may do consultations with the holistic vet in your area. you really need to have a holistic vet on board to treat this successfully because lyme can really wreak havoc on a body, although many say it's worse in human than dogs but I take it very seriously

Her titer is being sent out. She's been limping for two weeks now and x-ray shows nothing, coupled with the fact I have Lyme and she was bit last year and came down w/the flu...

I am emailing vets, started her on ledum (and other herbs) and limping let up a lot...I'm very informed on Lyme since I'm fighting it... I don't believe it every goes away, but we want to get it into remission. also, the tests don't seem very conclusive. In humans, you can check the CD-57 cells, I'm not aware of any cell depletion in canines associated with it?

I want to see if I can find someone who has gone through the holistic treatment. Thanks for the contact and tip to have him contact a vet in the area.

Reactions: Ethel

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
How about colloidal silver? I'm sorry if I should not have brought it up sense it is an antibiotic but I thought maybe sense it is a natural one I would mention it. Hopefully Liz will know more.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have thought about colloidal but I've read the amounts needed could be too much... Maybe use it in addition to other treatment so if it's not the only thing used we could use less. Must buy a generator as it's expensive!

I've talked with Liz (she's great!) I probably won't find it but would like to find someone who has gone through the treatment. I know it's different for every individual, but just hearing from someone who went through it would be nice. I can't even count the number of times I've heard "Lyme isn't in this area" (we're not from here and didn't pick it up here) but Lyme is in every state... I'm worried about getting reinfected even as I'm not sure how to effectively keep the ticks off. Last summer when we got bit I tried everything and nothing kept them away... maybe kept them down, but those things are sneaky! Also being reported from fleas/flies now too so not even confined to ticks!

Lyme is so scary and I am just praying my younger two pups aren't infected. Hadley, the infected one, has always had a worse immune system and struggled due to her rough beginning so hopefully the other two were strong enough to keep it at bay! It's certainly wreaked havoc on my body but hopefully Hadley is more resilient! She certainly eats better than me LOL

Reactions: Herzo

·
Registered
552 Posts
Her titer is being sent out. She's been limping for two weeks now and x-ray shows nothing, coupled with the fact I have Lyme and she was bit last year and came down w/the flu...

I am emailing vets, started her on ledum (and other herbs) and limping let up a lot...I'm very informed on Lyme since I'm fighting it... I don't believe it every goes away, but we want to get it into remission. also, the tests don't seem very conclusive. In humans, you can check the CD-57 cells, I'm not aware of any cell depletion in canines associated with it?

I want to see if I can find someone who has gone through the holistic treatment. Thanks for the contact and tip to have him contact a vet in the area.

Luckily I have not had to treat it but would go to Dr. Tobin if I had too. I haven't brought my dog to him yet so I don't know the man personally but it seems as though he has helped a lot of dogs (and people who tried his methods on themselves). Hope you can resolve her issues sooner than later. Good luck and keep us up to date on her progress. Living in CT, I feel like i'm just waiting for my dog to get lyme and don't know how I haven't yet.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Sheltie Lover - a breeder friend in GA has dealt with it twice in her kennel with rescues she has taken in. She sent me the information she based her dogs treatment on. It is on the Symphony Natural page. :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Yes it can be, I have my own generator and have been making it for years. I have used it on my dogs when I haven't known what was the matter with them and even the vets didn't think they needed to be seen. I really haven't studied up on Lyme disease but thought my last basset girls may have had some sort of tick problem as I never could find anything but a tick on one of them.

They were just lethargic and there balance was off. I had to help them up the stairs.

All we did was give them colloidal silver and they got better. It may not have helped but it didn't hurt.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm certainly going to plan on getting the generator within the week! Do you have any recommendations as to a good/affordable one?

I love CS so I know it will help to a degree, but it seems like with Lyme there are many things to confront. I can't find out much about canine Lyme but I know in humans there is always an accumulation of viruses and parasites and heavy metals involved in a Lyme patient. I found it interesting there are very few cases reported in cats... wonder why.

Lyme is crazy because it lays dormant for quite a while, longer in some than others, and just completely screws everything up... it gets inside every organ and there's really no getting it out but more a matter of getting the immune system back up to par to be able to keep it under control... which is a lot harder than it sounds LOL

Reactions: MollyWoppy

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As far as testing, I think the two most accurate "diagnostic" tests are the IFA titer test and there is also a PCR test. The PCR test will check the blood for DNA to look for Lyme. But you can get a false negative if none is present in the blood smear. So I think the IFA test is the way to go to check titer levels and see where you are at.

I also recently heard of a product called Lyme Blaster. It is a preventative thing though. When you remove a tick, you put it on the tick bite site to prevent the disease from transmitting. I recently bought some but knock on wood have not had to use it yet. Cabo was diagnosed with ehrlichiosis earlier this year and I don't want anymore tick diseases for any of my dogs. Here is the Lyme Blaster, anyone use it?

Aromatherapy for dogs, Aromatherapy for cats and Aromatherapy for pets.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as testing, I think the two most accurate "diagnostic" tests are the IFA titer test and there is also a PCR test. The PCR test will check the blood for DNA to look for Lyme. But you can get a false negative if none is present in the blood smear. So I think the IFA test is the way to go to check titer levels and see where you are at.

I also recently heard of a product called Lyme Blaster. It is a preventative thing though. When you remove a tick, you put it on the tick bite site to prevent the disease from transmitting. I recently bought some but knock on wood have not had to use it yet. Cabo was diagnosed with ehrlichiosis earlier this year and I don't want anymore tick diseases for any of my dogs. Here is the Lyme Blaster, anyone use it?

Aromatherapy for dogs, Aromatherapy for cats and Aromatherapy for pets.
The IFA test is what I'm waiting on to get back.... might be in today even. I should call them and see.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the vet called and her titer showed she's been exposed to it, but it wasn't high in the sense she's currently fighting it. However, Lyme suppresses the immune system so it's not abnormal, she said, to see a titer that doesn't have high antibodies because the system could just be so turned off it's not responding anymore. That's how Lyme works...destroys the immune system and stays hidden very well. We're going to do a senior panel she called it and check all her organs and see if anything have been affected by it.

Hopefully she came into contact with it and her immune system is good enough to keep it at bay. Which is even more reason not to ever vaccinate because that assault on her immune system could lower it enough for Lyme to take over.

Lyme is no joke, be careful, everyone. I tried tons of things to keep them out of our yard in Arkansas, none work obviously. So just check your dogs every day if you can!

Reactions: Herzo and Ethel

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ugh, I feel your pain. Hate hate hate ticks. I just pulled one off Tux today. We don't have much lymes around here but we are a hot spot for ehrlichiosis and rocky mountain spotted fever.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I treated Hadley with Ledum pellets for two weeks and now she's not limping anymore and hasn't for about five days. My doctor, whose treating me for Lyme, said there's no reason to continue the Ledum is she isn't limping anymore. Fingers crossed no more episodes. I know in humans it isn't this easy, but maybe in canines it's different. I will definitely keep monitoring her organs and such to make sure they don't get in there and ruin them.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Sheltielover - I am glad the Ledum worked for her. If she starts limping again do the four times per day for three days then twice until she stops limping. :)

Liz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts