Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm considering the raw diet for my dog, was worried about the salmonella and the other bacterial infections but I've seen plenty of info about how dogs are not really affected by them, but a friend of mine said that trough raw chicken a dog can develop lungworms, how likely is that?

thanks

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I belong to many raw food forums and I have not encountered anyone ever stating anything about lungworms. I believe its just some anti raw propaganda to scare people but I don't believe lungworms are an issue in chicken that we feed our dogs that are bought for human consumption.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I've never heard of lungworms... and having been on both this forum, and a few other raw feeding lists, I'm confident in saying that wherever you heard that, is an unreliable source. Sounds like anti-raw propaganda put out by dog food companies to me!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Lungworms are parasitic nematodes (many different varieties) that are typically a problem with hooved vertebrates like sheep, pigs and cattle. They get these by grazing on grass or eating near infected areas. So the vertebrate animal eats a larval worm while grazing. The larval worms migrate to the respiratory tract and reach sexual maturity. If anything, like a dog, were to eat the infected respiratory meat they would end the life cycle because transmission is not possible by this route because they are not susceptible to these varieties of lungworms.

There are other varieties of lungworms that infect dogs and cats but this is a more indirect life cycle. Slugs and snails are the intermediate host. If dogs were to eat an infected intermediate host or lick the slime trail of one they would become infected. There is one variety that infects cats who eat the definitive host (bird or mouse) and become infected but this is the only case like this. These worms are all treatable if the infections are caught early.

So, you see that feeding a raw diet has pretty much no risk of lungworms. The risk is if you live in an area that harbors the parasites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts