Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the group. Last Sat. my 2 year old toy poodle had to have emergency surgery. The vet found a mass attached to her pancreas, kidney, and intestines. She was able to remove the mass from the intestine but had to remove a small portion of the pancreas and removed the right kidney. The preliminary results show no sign of cancer thank goodness. The vet has suggested she be put on a low protein diet due to having only one kidney now. I have researched the web but have not found much help. My "Princess" is a very picky eater. She doesn't like chicken at all. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I hate to argue with your vet (well, no I don't actually) but protein in the diet has no effect on the pancreas nor kidneys. Dogs need protein to thrive. It's the building block of their body. Low protein means high carbs. Cancer feeds on carbs so if it comes back you don't want your dog eating carbs.

The research linking protein to bad kidneys was flawed and has been discredited.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Also, the quality of the protein sources you are feeding can negatively affect the kidneys as well. If the main source of protein is coming from glutens (veggie based proteins), then it will just as negatively affect the kidneys. We have another mini poodle on our forum who was switched to raw food (the absolute best diet for renal failure animals) and last we heard, he was thriving on it. My older kidney failure dog and cat are also thriving since they've been switched to raw food, just something to consider.

Also, those studies on the affects of protein on the kidneys was done on rats, an animal that doesn't naturally have a lot of protein in its diet. So of course they're going to go into kidney failure.

Anyway, good luck with your poodle and welcome to the forum!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts