Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Updated] Low(er) protein good dry dog food for (sensitive stomach) mini dachshund

I'm new here, so I hope I'm doing this ok...

We've been using Wellness Core for two years or so (since I adopted my mini).

Upon my vet's suggestion (due to having a sensitive stomach + low amylase levels + intermittent issues with vomiting that has been occuring for quite a long time), I switched my 4-year-old mini dachshund to "Prescription Diet i/d" (by Hill's) a few days ago, but I don't like the ingredients I see there. The reviews on Hill's products (Science Diet) are quite bad too...

I was wondering whether you could suggest me some brands I could look into while my other vet does some additional blood tests in a month or so. I am looking for a low protein (~25-30% or so --ie less than Wellness Core's) quality brand dry dog food...

I've looked at a few dog food analysis sites, and the brands they list (as best) tend to be very high on protein. The other ones I've found were:

- Wellness "Super5Mix" Small Breed
- Artemis Fresh Mix Small Breed
- Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie
- Merrick Wilderness Blend
- Blue (Buffalo) "Life Protection" Small Breed Chicken & Brown Rice
- Blue (Buffalo) "Basics" Turkey and Potato Recipe

None of the above except "Blue Basics" say anything about sensitive stomachs, and none give any signs that they are somehow similar to i/d's additional benefits (digestive enzymes)...

Thanks in advance :)

Update: I'm now in between Fromm Four Star Chicken and Altemis Small Breed Adult. The former seems to have a single major meat source and says it is semi-allergenic. I'd love to hear your comments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I just noticed that California Natural is from NaturaPet (now owned by P&G). So I'll skip that one :)

By the way, any ideas about the brands I listed in the first post?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.