Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my pup Orijen since I got her. As of lately her stools have not been coming out solid. Is there any negative to that other than a harder time cleaning up? I really love Orijen and don't want to change it if I do not have to. At the same time, I want to make sure my baby is digesting her food ok. I just want to make sure she isn't losing any value from the food with the loose stools.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
222 Posts
How long have you had her? Maybe just a adjustment period to get used to it. it may also be too rich . We fed our dobes Solid Gold for a good while and they never adjusted to it. We had to to change them off of it and several foods later, for them Diamond Naturals is what has worked. I would like to try our Aussie and hound mix on Orijen but its nowhere near us. It may take some tries before you find what works for you, and what is available.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
How much are you feeding? did you increase the amount that you feed lately? usually dogs that have done fine on a food and then suddenly get loose stools, it is either from an increase in food, too many treats, or have become intolerant to an ingredient in the food. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really love the Orijen and hope it is not the problem. She gets 2 1/4 cups for morning and 2 1/4 for dinner. Someone suggested mixing some natural yogurt in there. She has been on the food for about 3 months.

L

·
0 Posts
Orijen is very rich. It sounds like you've been overfeeding. Usually just one cup twice daily is sufficient. But I don't know how much your dog weighs and its activity level so that would have to be factored in. But if a dog is having loose stool its usually due to overfeeding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well right now I feed her according to what it says on the bag. The bag says that for dogs that will be an adult weight of 90-130lbs and are 3-9 months old should be fed 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups per day. My pup is 7 months. Maybe I will cut back a bit and add some yogurt. I really want to keep her on the Orijen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I try to keep her very active. On top of walks, I give her 2-3 hours a day wrestling and running around at the dog park.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I'd still cut your dog back to about 1 1/2 cups a feeding and see if that stops the loose stools, the bags always over calculate the amount to feed, the more you feed the faster you go through a bag of food, the more $ you spend. Orijen is high in protein so you don't need to feed alot of quanity.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
+1 on cutting WAY back. Orijen is a great food, but they are still out to make money. So I am sure that the numbers are padded a bit so you feed more and ultimately buy more.

Cut back to 1 1/2 cup twice daily and see how your dog does on it. Keep a close eye on body condition. And if you have a large breed pup on your hands...you definitely want to watch his/her weight. Extra weight on growing joints can be very bad and can cause all sorts of issues. You should be able to see the last two ribs and a nice tucked tummy. If you start to see back bones and hip bones, she/he is a bit too thin.

Good luck :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Cutting back the food is a great suggestion! Also you could try the canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling!!) that will firm things up a bit for the pup!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read on alot of forums that its good to give a spoon or 2 of yogurt cause it helps with digestion. Its also a probiotic.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts