Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm looking to transition my 16 week old Bulldog pup to an all stages adult dog food that is easily digestible. My pup is currently on C. Natural lamb and rice puppy formula. He's doing well on it but he has soft stools on that food and it's time to move to an adult formula anyway because English Bulldogs shouldn't be on puppy kibble for long because high protein levels cause rapid growth for this breed. So...I'm in the market for a new dog food. I want one with simple ingredients. A lot of the high end foods out there like Innova are quite rich and I need something that will give him better stool quality. I'm currently looking into Fromms Four Star and am also looking into Wellness. Anyone have any experience with those foods...or have advice for a kibble for a pup with a sensitive digestive system. I'm looking for a food with a protein level of 20-25 % and enough fat and calories for a growing pup to thrive on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Have you considered moving up to a California Natural adult formula? The Herring formula is a good one, and it's affordable. It's as easy on the tummy as it can get, and a change in protein sources is always good. They also have Chicken or lamb formulas as well.

I will say that I think there is some misconception about protien, puppies, and growth, but if that's what you're comfortable with then I'll leave it at that.

ETA: Canidae ALS formula is super affordable, and a really good deal for the money. It's not as rich as some of the other premium foods on the market, but still of decent quality for being a grain-inclusive kibble. My GSD mix did great on it, but remarkably, I was slightly more pleased with the results I got with him on Kirkland (don't shoot me!) as far as poop goes, and stuck with that for him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've given me a lot to consider. A lot of my fellow EB forum buddies say high protein isn't good but I've heard contrary reports that it's misleading that high protein is bad for large or giant breed puppies. I used to mix the chicken and rice puppy formula of C. Natural with the Canidae ALS but then switched to straight C. Natural because I thought both foods were too rich and causing soft poop. How was your pup's stool on the Herring Formula? If I try an adult formula pf C.Natural do you think I'm better off trying the fish to change protein source as you'd mentioned or stick to the lamb since I'm currently feeding the lamb puppy formula...?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
If you aren't satisfied with the formula you're using, I'd say it's a good idea to make a switch to the Herring.

My dog is a really bad example of the results of any dog food. He has a carbohydrate intolerence, so he can't have ANY commercial dog food. We did try the Herring formula, and he loved the taste.

I recommended this food to some of our customers experiencing loose stools, and gurgley tummies, and most of them had really great results, so I do continue to recommend it to people even though I don't necessarily have personal results to rave about.

In a rough patch, we put my GSD on kirkland when he had been on Canidae.... and to be totally honest, the results I got with that were pleasing. I can afford to put him back on canidae now, but with these results, I don't know that I will.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My feeling is that if Kirkland is working for your GSD...why switch to a more popular brand? I'd stick with it! And thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have had great luck with PetGuard Lifespan. It's ALS and has been good for my guys digestion and overall health. It's ingredients are chicken, brown rice, oatmeal etc.
Good luck, it can be frustrating finding the right food for dogs!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I feed my dog lifes abundance it has a lot of the ingredients you mentioned and i have an american bulldog with bad allergies and she does great and it formulated to be digestable. I get my food from thebetterdogfood.com if you want to look at the ingredients or whatever not saying it works with all dogs just had good sucess with mine on it. Hope you find something that works for you and other brands mentioned are good as well.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There is some misconception on the high protein side, and one thing to look for are not only the protein levels but also the phosphorus and calcium levels. If these levels are within a certain range the protein % does not aid in the rapid growth. (I posted previously in the thread regarding high protein for puppies)
I am almost wondering if your little guy is just intolerant of Lamb. Some puppies just find lamb a little to hard on their systems. Maybe switching to the Cal. Nat Chicken would be a better choice. These guys are prone to skin, ear, and gas, as well as sensitive tummies. Cal Nat as you know is a limited ingredient food, and I agree with you in trying to stay with that. I would suggest changing the protein source.
On one other note, my BFF has had several EB and she swears by Royal Canidae Bulldog formula. I honestly have never looked at the ingredients, and I don't have an opinion about this food. I just know Victoria does not have any skin or ear problems, and her gas would fall under the "normal" category for any dog.

Welcome to the forum!
Can't wait to see some pictures of the little guy!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions! This is extremely helpful and gives me a lot to consider!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts