Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a desperate search for new food. I was feeding Canidae Chicken and rice from around 12 weeks. He never really had a solid stool so I have taken him to the vet tons of times and they can't find anything that is wrong. They put him on Hills prescription(I know this is terrible food). His stools have definitely hardened back up so I am self diagnosing that it was a food allergy. I liked Canidae it was a good quality food in my price range but I would like to try something different. He is now a 7 month old lab. I live in an area that doesn't have a lot of options so if you could give a few suggestions I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm thinking it may not be a food allergy, but just that Canidae switched it's formula several months ago. If you look up Canidae on this forum you will see that many dogs that did well on Canidae in the past had very loose, yellowish stool after the formula change. My dogs included. I no longer buy Canidae. There is a ton of informaion on this forum and suggested dog foods. My favorites are Evo, Orijen, Eagle Pack Holistic and Innova.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
My puppy is just turning 6 months and has a sensitive stomach but not actual food allergies. He just tends to get soft stools on rich dog food so he eats Innova puppy mixed with Solid Gold Wolfcub puppy and does great. I am now starting to add a little Orijen to it to get him used to a more meat based diet as he gets older and to get him used to different foods. I get my dog food online and have it shipped since no one around me sells it. If I wait until they email me a 22% off coupon then the shipping is offset and it comes out the same price or cheaper then buying it locally. You might try that for food you can't get locally.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I feed Natural Balance Lamb Meal and Brown Rice and Natural Balance Duck and Potato with great success for both. My boy has allergies as well as colitis and he does great on both foods. They're sold at PetCo if you need a large chain and then other stores as well. Their site is Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Pet Foods :1 to find a retailor in your area. It's an all life stages food.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wellness also makes really good food, too. It's all a matter of trail and error. All I know is you should get your pup off the Hills, it's awful stuff.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Easing your dogs digestive system into a new food.

Wellness CORE, EVO and Orijen are all great foods. The thing with these foods are you have to ease your dog's digestive system into it. I am not saying this is the case but if you just start feeding your dog one of these premium brands of food your dog may have loose stools and vomit.

I have heard that its good to start slowly mixing your new dog food in with your old about a week in advance. You can mix 20% new and 80% old, then 30%new and 70% old and so on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
my oz has a very sensitive stomach and then food sensitivities and some allergies on top of that. AND he can't tolerate high protein kibble too well. right now he's on natural balance potato & duck and he was previously on their sweet potato & venison. i also supplement his kibble with canned food usually wellness 95% turkey, wellness turkey & sweet potato or evangers buffalo, pheasant or duck. he gets about a tablespoon with his kibble.

check out Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble if you can. i've noticed that some of the grain free food reviews recommend waiting until your dog is over 1 year old since they are higher in protein, especially for large breed dogs.

and like everyone else said, make the change slowly. oz takes about a week to move to a new food. i've heard of dogs that can take two weeks to completely switch over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts