Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we went in for an a vet visit today for pretty much an interview they seemed really nice at the front desk...then I took Harley and Roscoe to the back where I met the Vet Assistant booooo he was soooo ignorant he couldnt even ask about my thoughts and opinions he just preached Science Diet is the best thing to feed my dogs I told him IMO its not and that I feed my pups a raw diet nothing but meat bones and organs...he continued to tell me well they can get sick on raw meat so I should cook it I pretty much wanted to pop his head off since he wouldnt even let me put my 2 cents in on my research and experience...I was going to walk out but decided I would meet the actual Vet and see if she thought differently...hahahaha yeah right she was nice and all but definatly didnt support what I was feeding my dogs and even tried to convince me to spay and nueter next month which I will
Roscoe the first of the year because he has a hernia and I want to just to one surgery but not Harley till shes closer to a year...Im guessing they know nothing about large breed dogs(the closest thing to large breed they knew was a pictures on the wall)..enough ranting from me I just wish I could find a good Vet in Lawton Oklahoma shit I would even drive up to an hour if I can find a good one!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
:frown: Sorry you had to experience that... vets can be REAL ignorant sometimes- unfortunately. :frown:

I am looking for a good vet, too, but no luck yet. So far I've ran in to one vet who doesn't even talk to you, and has 3-4 vet assistants drawing blood from, weighing, etc. your dog at the same time, and one vet who tried to scam me.

This is one downfall to raw feeding. Stupid vets :mad:.

Best of luck in your quest to find a *good* vet. I am hoping that vets will be more educated in the future, but who knows...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck to you too!!! I can handle them not knowing anything about rawfeeding but they have to at least understand thats what I choose to do..and not preach kibble to me esp science diet when there is so many other better kibbles out...I asked what they meant my highend kibble and he named SD,Eukanuba,proplan and something else I looked at him and asked if he had ever heard of a real highend food..lol he didnt even know what TOTW,diamond,blue buffalo,wellness,chicken soup,california natural the list goes on but needless to say he was even ignorant to the fact that he didnt know that corn isnt digestible by humans or dogs he said it is and it does have nutritional value I wanted to scream because I know for a fact we dont digest it properly so how can my dog he needs to look at his stools next time he eats corn!!!!! lol

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Well we went in for an a vet visit today for pretty much an interview they seemed really nice at the front desk...then I took Harley and Roscoe to the back where I met the Vet Assistant booooo he was soooo ignorant he couldnt even ask about my thoughts and opinions he just preached Science Diet is the best thing to feed my dogs I told him IMO its not and that I feed my pups a raw diet nothing but meat bones and organs...he continued to tell me well they can get sick on raw meat so I should cook it I pretty much wanted to pop his head off since he wouldnt even let me put my 2 cents in on my research and experience...I was going to walk out but decided I would meet the actual Vet and see if she thought differently...hahahaha yeah right she was nice and all but definitely didn't support what I was feeding my dogs and even tried to convince me to spay and nueter next month which I will
Roscoe the first of the year because he has a hernia and I want to just to one surgery but not Harley till shes closer to a year...Im guessing they know nothing about large breed dogs(the closest thing to large breed they knew was a pictures on the wall)..enough ranting from me I just wish I could find a good Vet in Lawton Oklahoma shit I would even drive up to an hour if I can find a good one!!!!
I've had a similar experience as you. About 2 years ago, I took my dog in for yearly vaccinations and the vet recommended Iams or Science Diet!! He said so because they had the highest levels of Glucosamine/Chondroitin, which is important for Aspen. I told him no that's okay...I had already done my research on those foods. And by the way, those foods DON'T have the highest levels. There's great kibble out there that's WAY better. I know that the way kibble is processed loses it's part of it's potency. But there's still foods out there better than these. It's very difficult to find a great vet that doesn't recommend SD or Iams. Luckily, I found one that supports raw!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Unfortunately it is ignorance to blame when it comes to these vets...and just plain laziness to not look into it.

They are pushed and pushed and pushed on SD, Purina, Eukanuba, etc in school that they are all kinda "brainwashed" into believing that dogs and cats require rice, soy, corn, by products, etc to survive.

There are a few here in Colorado that do support the raw diet, but I don't go to them. I work for a great vet, altho she does sell the SD and Purina crap, and she does know her stuff. She knows not to push that sh*t on me, and knows that I feed raw and doesn't give me grief about it. She actually is showing a slight bit of interest in it.

I don't ever talk about the raw diet with any of our clients because it is her business and not my place to do so. I kinda see those people as "off limits" and I have to influence others instead...which is why I am here and on other forums. If people ask me what I feed, I am honest and tell them...which they ask all the time because I take Bailey the Dane to sit in the front lobby with me everyday! I would spread the word to every client up there, but since its my job, and I need to make money, I just let it go.

If you are looking for a raw diet supportive vet, I would just call around and ask plain and simple "do you support a raw diet at this office?" And if they answer is no, then you know to not waste your time there. If you do get a "yes" from someone I would still go and do an interview and see how they opperate. Request a view of the facility (trust me its necessary...) so you can have peace of mind about the place. I have seen some really nasty things at some hospitals that you wouldn't even guess were there since its out of sight of clients.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a similar experience as you. About 2 years ago, I took my dog in for yearly vaccinations and the vet recommended Iams or Science Diet!! He said so because they had the highest levels of Glucosamine/Chondroitin, which is important for Aspen. I told him no that's okay...I had already done my research on those foods. And by the way, those foods DON'T have the highest levels. There's great kibble out there that's WAY better. I know that the way kibble is processed loses it's part of it's potency. But there's still foods out there better than these. It's very difficult to find a great vet that doesn't recommend SD or Iams. Luckily, I found one that supports raw!!!!!!
lucky!!! Im hoping if I cant find one here that supports my choice I will be able to at our next duty station I am going to do my research for a vet soon since we will be leaving hopefully around March!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately it is ignorance to blame when it comes to these vets...and just plain laziness to not look into it.

They are pushed and pushed and pushed on SD, Purina, Eukanuba, etc in school that they are all kinda "brainwashed" into believing that dogs and cats require rice, soy, corn, by products, etc to survive.

There are a few here in Colorado that do support the raw diet, but I don't go to them. I work for a great vet, altho she does sell the SD and Purina crap, and she does know her stuff. She knows not to push that sh*t on me, and knows that I feed raw and doesn't give me grief about it. She actually is showing a slight bit of interest in it.

I don't ever talk about the raw diet with any of our clients because it is her business and not my place to do so. I kinda see those people as "off limits" and I have to influence others instead...which is why I am here and on other forums. If people ask me what I feed, I am honest and tell them...which they ask all the time because I take Bailey the Dane to sit in the front lobby with me everyday! I would spread the word to every client up there, but since its my job, and I need to make money, I just let it go.

If you are looking for a raw diet supportive vet, I would just call around and ask plain and simple "do you support a raw diet at this office?" And if they answer is no, then you know to not waste your time there. If you do get a "yes" from someone I would still go and do an interview and see how they opperate. Request a view of the facility (trust me its necessary...) so you can have peace of mind about the place. I have seen some really nasty things at some hospitals that you wouldn't even guess were there since its out of sight of clients.
I am definatly going to call every vet in town before I go through that crap again...I had 2 of my daughters with me and the 2 dogs and wasted my time!!! I wouldnt have minded if they wouldnt have pretty much said I was terrible for what I feed my dogs in nicer words.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
lucky!!! Im hoping if I cant find one here that supports my choice I will be able to at our next duty station I am going to do my research for a vet soon since we will be leaving hopefully around March!!!
He still sells SD, Iams and the other crap. Don't all vets sell that...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep Im pretty sure they all do which is fine with me as long as they dont act like im the devil because I wont feed it

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I am definatly going to call every vet in town before I go through that crap again...I had 2 of my daughters with me and the 2 dogs and wasted my time!!! I wouldnt have minded if they wouldnt have pretty much said I was terrible for what I feed my dogs in nicer words.
You should never feel uncomfortable. Ever.

If you do, walk out. Pay if you got something done, but walk out and request any vet medical records to be taken with you.

A vet should be someone that you should feel comfortable with no matter what. Be able to talk about any and all problems without being judged...well unless you come off as a animal abuser LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went through the same thing recently and I am having hard time as well and don't feel comfortable with them, and here is why:
At the vet office there are three doctors which I dealt with and these are the issues that I disagree with them:

# told me: to spay my dog at 6 months, without even thinking twice or looking at the case as an individual case- note, i hve a large breed dog. Information I got from the giant schnauzer club of america was to wait at least 15 month.*
#They told me not to socialize (or walk outdoor even) the dog before the last vaccination (4 to 5 months) -yea, sure, a giant schnauzer not socialized early is a giant problem for life!

#They told me soon after the last vaccination: we'll see you next year for the yearly shots - I don't believe in them except rabbis shot which is required by law.*

#The last drop: raw food is a no no and he was quite sarcastic about it too. *"Iams prescription is the way to go to fix the nutritional problems"*

I am afraid, however, that lots of vets would have reccomended all the above by cliche' and routine.*

*Certainly I am not a very informed in the field but I did my research and*learned from experienced people, including breeders.*
I spent already thousands of $ in vet bills and I don't want to end up like a friend of mine that goes to the vet almost of monthly basis because he thinks its a duty and he thinks is the vest vet in the "world".. And his dogs don't last 10 years.*
I am starting to think that if I go less to the cet the dog will live longer.
Anyway... For the first time, since my dog is on raw, She hasn't had a single*diarrhea in a month.*
Before then, she had bouts on regular basis and was loosing wheight when she was supposed to gain it.*

Ok, enough today. *

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
One thing I have to say about fixing a female dog at a younger age is that if they are able to go into their first heat cycle and then fixed; I know sooooo many dogs that have become such bitches. I believe that it is the male large breed dogs that need to wait for neutering, I think?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I dont really have a problem if the vet sells that stuff at the clinic, as long as they dont tell me that its better then what I already feed.
I recently switched vets and hes a really nice guy, very small clinic, so I guess he sells SD and proplan to keep it afloat, but he actually feeds his own dogs Canidae and when he asked him what I feed mine ( half kibble/canned, half raw), he just smiled and said, "good, it looks like its working well for your dog, so keep it up."
Thats really all I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
184 Posts
99% of them do. I know there are good vets out there, but they are just so hard to come across..

A friend of mine who lives in Texas has an excellent vet, who recommends only great foods, and feeds them too.. she is so lucky!! I wish I had a vet like that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One thing I have to say about fixing a female dog at a younger age is that if they are able to go into their first heat cycle and then fixed; I know sooooo many dogs that have become such bitches. I believe that it is the male large breed dogs that need to wait for neutering, I think?
Well, I just found blood on my bed. my dog is in heat for thefirst time at 10 months.
I heard from other GS owners that early spay caused incontinence in their dogs. Also, to consider that it is not natural to spay the dogs before their growth plates close.
Whether true or not I am not taking chances.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My current vet doesn't bother with chastizing me for feeding raw, so that's fine. However a vet came into my shop a couple months back, introduced herself and told me she was a new vet in town and wanted to switch over to orijen off of SD then eventually on to raw. So i set her up with all she needed for her dogs and cats and off she went after thanking me. Then i forgot what her name was.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. She came in again raving about how her pets are doing so well on raw and gave us her business card. Turns out she works at a clinic that hates our store and she does accupuncture and seemed like my dream vet... Then i noticed she only does large animal practice... *facepalm*... Finally find a raw vet and she's a large animal only vet! GRR!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My current vet doesn't bother with chastizing me for feeding raw, so that's fine. However a vet came into my shop a couple months back, introduced herself and told me she was a new vet in town and wanted to switch over to orijen off of SD then eventually on to raw. So i set her up with all she needed for her dogs and cats and off she went after thanking me. Then i forgot what her name was.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. She came in again raving about how her pets are doing so well on raw and gave us her business card. Turns out she works at a clinic that hates our store and she does accupuncture and seemed like my dream vet... Then i noticed she only does large animal practice... *facepalm*... Finally find a raw vet and she's a large animal only vet! GRR!
darn your luck she could have been perfect :smile:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like my vet but he too doesn't believe in RAW. I asked him about it and he asked me, Would you eat raw meat? I said, no but would you eat dog food and he said YES! I plan on buying him a bowl and a bag of Ol' Roy for Christmas! :biggrin:

I figure it this way... if the dogs need regular blood work or whatever and it comes up normal and all good, why blab and tell him I'm feeding RAW? If the dog chokes on a chicken bone, I'll tell him the dog was garbage pickin again! :biggrin:

*slaps dirt off hands* There! :tongue:

He told me that people online don't know what they're talking about but he sent me a stack of papers run off from websites... okay. Whatever! :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts