Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right place. Sorry if I'm not.

Anyhow, I have two opposite dogs at home. A 16 year old chihuahua and a 13 week old mystery mutt. The chihuahua weighs about 7 pounds and is in excellent health, the puppy weighs about 20 pounds and is having some troubles. I think the food he's on isn't agreeing with him. It's just some super cheap garbage kibble (came with him) he poops more than I think is normal (honestly around ten times a day) and it is always soft, bordering on liquid. He has no worms or other parasites.

Starting this weekend I'm going to be switching him over to diamond natural puppy food. I know there are better kibbles to be had, but this is the one i can afford and it's miles better than what he's eating now. I'd like to find a recipe for a home-made addition. Like a meatball or patty that I can make a big batch of and freeze. Then give him and the old man that along with their dry food. Maybe a couple different kinds they get variety.

I understand I may need to wait till the pup is older, so I don't mess him all up, I'm ok with that. I'm totally cool with raw, but don't really have access to things like turkey necks and stuff like that. I only have access to a regular grocery store and Walmart. Very rarely I get out to Costco.

So can anyone here give me any recommendations? I've seen so many things about percentages of bone and meat and all that, I just can't wrap my mind around it. I need cups any tablespoons!

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, Monstr....Monstrous

Frankly I don't have erldly dogs, so I could not offer practical recommendations. But I did help you find a site about dog food, for both old and young ones. Hope this would be of any help.
https://www.rover.com/blog/healthy-dog-food-recipes/

There has pics and vids so I think it is more comprehensable and clear for you to choose which to follow.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Personally, I feed a wide variety of foods, from "poor" quality kibble up to prey model raw. This way, I don't have to "worry" about upsetting a system (I don't transition either). So, things I've fed that could be fed alone or as add-ins, plain chicken, plain ground beef, beef, pork (raw or cooked; if cooked, usually boiled cause then I use the "broth" on dehydrated foods or kibble). When I make meatloaf for the family, I'll make one for the dogs (slightly different seasonings), same with meatballs, and hamburger patties. I'll take trimmed bones, cook them to mush. Then, add in some kind of veggie (usually a some kind of squash, sometimes carrots, a couple of times bell peppers), and a grain (most often rolled oats). Last I add the meat(s), fats/marrow, and just barely cook it. Most of the time I purée this "stew" cause it's easier to store but have fed it as is. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts