Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I haven't posted in a while but my grandma's dog needs help! Despite me telling my grandma hundreds of times not to feed Beneful, she still does because "the vet said it is ok" and because of convenience. She has allowed me to go and find a food myself though which I am excited about!

She tried something by Merrick a few months ago but didn't have any luck. I think though that the dog isn't used to a good amount of meat so when she introduced the new food she probably has diarrhea which would explain why when I went to her house there was a big bag of beneful :/ (which ironically my autocorrect wanted to change to "baneful" lol).

She doesn't want wet food or raw food, I think dry is the way to go. I would like to do as a high quality dog food as possible, but maybe something a bit less rich than Orijen. I don't want the dog to get diarrhea again and my grandma go back to beneful (although i am going to have a big talk with her. I even wrote a paper on it). I still want a good amount of protein and meat, grain free, and veggies to a minimum.

I only feed raw for my dogs so I don't know what is good with kibble right now!

Here is a little more info on the dog herself:
-white lab
-around 12 years old
-lived as an outside dog in Mexico for the first 10 years of her life, and only had rocks as toys and god-awful dog food probably
-Most of her teeth are broken but can handle beneful texture for some reason
-Has to take medicine because she is a bit incontinent pee-pee wise. I think her sphincter is a little loose or something.
-80 lbs
-super sweet :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You don't need a senior dog food. As a larger, older dog, she probably has arthritis. Grainfree is best for arthritic dogs. Are you, or she, on a budget? Can you order online?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have been more clear! I am not specifically looking for "senior dog food", just food for my senior dog lol. I know that senior dog food has low protein but that it is actually better to have higher protein. I am not on a budget and I would prefer a food I can buy locally.

Edit: Ok so actually I am on a budget, I checked and Ziwipeaks is definitely out of my price range for an 80 lb lab!

Reactions: FBarnes

·
Registered
684 Posts
How about Grain Free 4 Health from Tractor Supply? Also, grain free Simply Nourish by Petsmart (their premium store brand) could be considered. Another possibility: Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (one of their least caloric grain free kibbles). It's a step above the 4 Health and can also be found at TSC.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I like Horizon Pulsar, esp for a dog that may be sensitive (my parents dog had a hard time coming off Iams at 8 years old)...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Victor might be a good option for you, they do have a senior formula with glucosamine. Another one I like is petcurean go fir+free senior, its little more expensive but contains l carnitine for healthy weight in addition to glucosamine/chondroitin.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you need that 'soft texture' like Beneful has... heck honestly even another Purina product would be better. Beneful is the worst of the worst IMO. Even check out Pro Plan Selects or something. Wouldn't be too different but a "step up". Or even a few of the Eukanuba formulas (Naturals, etc). Probably close in price range, similar enough but still way better than Beneful, and the dog is already 12 years old. If he's survived this long on Beneful.... eating Euk or Pro Plan won't kill him.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Whatever you change to, obviously change very slowly. The dog's system will be in for a shock! It'll be like changing from a straight McDonald's diet to healthy food - lol! There will be some serious detox going on! Yea, if Mom insists on a mainstream dog food, I'd probably go with ProPlan (shudder...).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts