Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I made this profile just to get a few more sets of eyes (hopefully) on a problem which is strictly confined to one of my dogs. I’ve been feeding raw for about ten years now, and I’m quite comfortable on the ratios, the difference in feeding puppies vs. adults in terms of weight and ratios, and I thought I wouldn’t need to harass anyone on a forum anymore... but here I am!

The issue that I am having is with my eight month old standard poodle mix. He’s an active guy, and very treat motivated in terms of training. We do multiple training sessions a week (agility, rally, obedience) and long walks every single day (between two and three miles a day, more on weekends.) My frustration comes from the fact that he’s suddenly skipping meals... like, full days of eating.

I feed my 8 year old once a day, and she eats no issue. She gets about 1.1lbs and weighs about 62lbs. She doesn’t look like an eight year old. She’s got gorgeous teeth, perfect skin and coat, and while she sometimes skips a meal, the next day she’s back to eating normally. I consider it a fasting day. As a puppy she never missed a meal... which is probably why this is so frustrating for me. My puppy is an anorexic, I swear. He’s in great athletic weight, his poop is normal, his teeth look great. His energy level is off the charts, no vomiting (although he did puke in the car today, he did drink some salt water at the beach so I’m not surprised.)

He ate normally yesterday. He had duck neck, chicken trim, beef kidney, a little yogurt and beef spleen for breakfast, totaling about .5lbs. For dinner he had about a .6lb lamb shank, but I take the bone away once he starts crunching it up because he’d already had his 1.92oz of bone for the day.

Today he straight up refused to eat both breakfast and dinner. He was supposed to have duck neck, green tripe, chicken trim, pork brain, and goat liver. He ate a mouthful of tripe at dinner time and left the rest. I blame myself, because I was adding fun stuff when he wouldn’t eat, like bone broth or primal freeze dried nuggets, simply because I was so petrified of him skipping meals and making himself sick. I think I have inadvertently trained him to wait and see what other goodies might be coming his way. I need to break the habit, but in the back of my mind I am worried that 8 months old is too young to be faffing around with him skipping meals.

Now, normally I’d just keep offering the food at every meal time until he decided that he’d better eat before I take it away from him, but the more I read, the more people say not to fast puppies. So, what would you do? Keep offering the same food each meal time until he realizes he’d better eat? Or should I try something else that I haven’t thought of yet?

Basically I am just looking for someone to tell me that I am being stupid, a healthy dog wont starve himself, and he has me trained better than I have him trained. I’m really looking forward to being a member of a likeminded community here, since everyone in my ‘real’ life thinks I am batshit crazy with how I feed my dogs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you on Facebook? There are loads of raw feeding groups over there. Forums like this one have fallen to the way side unfortunately. I used to be very anti Facebook, but then all the dog forums i was on just completely went dead, so i had no choice but to go over there. I'm in around 20 different feeding groups on FB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aww I made a new account just for this type of info and community. I'm not even sure where to go now but I'm extremely against facebook.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Arlo_Agility : I assume this resolved? He could have been self-fasting, which I've heard some raw fed dogs will do, or it could be what you said - he was waiting to see if something better would show up in his bowl. . Mine have gotten picky with new batches of food and I'm not sure why, but it only lasted a day and then they were back to normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts