Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am going to be switching my 2 year old Great Dane over to raw pretty soon and I have a question about what kind of fish I will eventually be able to feed him.

I go fishing in Canada every year and we catch a lot of perch that we usually toss back. I was thinking that we would keep it this year and I could throw it in the freezer until he is ready for fish. Would this be ok or should I go with something else? If it is ok, would the same go for all other fish that can be caught in lakes around the midwest?

Thanks!!!

~Joe

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would think it would be ok, but definitely freeze it for a few weeks like you said.

I've only been feeding raw for over 2 months, so someone with more fish knowledge can help you. I've been feeding canned mackerel , salmon, and sardines. Gotta get to the asian mart soon for some fresh fish.

By the way, is that a little Corso pup in your avvy?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello all! I am going to be switching my 2 year old Great Dane over to raw pretty soon and I have a question about what kind of fish I will eventually be able to feed him.

I go fishing in Canada every year and we catch a lot of perch that we usually toss back. I was thinking that we would keep it this year and I could throw it in the freezer until he is ready for fish. Would this be ok or should I go with something else? If it is ok, would the same go for all other fish that can be caught in lakes around the midwest?

Thanks!!!

~Joe
Sorry I didn't get back to you! I didn't see this message until now! I am usually pretty good about posting back right away....

The only think that I would be leery of is the parasite that causes salmon poisoning in dogs...the parasite is carried on other species of fish, not just salmon. This parasite is found in the Pacific Northwest among fresh water fish. If you just freeze your catch for 2-3 weeks this shouldn't be an issue at all, and you shouldn't worry about the parasite.

As far as the types of fish go, any type is good. Most dogs that I know, are not keen on fresh fish, only 2 of our 4 will eat fresh fish, but all of them will eat canned fish, go figure :confused:

If your dog will eat what you catch that would be awesome! If not you can send it to me :biggrin:

Did I say something wrong?
Not at all...we just failed to see your post LOL...sorry!!!

Welcome!!!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
sorry I just saw your post too! I'm jealous of your fishing abilities! You should definitely keep the little fish and freeze them for a couple of months, then see if your dog will eat them! As danemama said, some dogs will eat fresh fish, some will only eat canned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies! I will certainly be trying it out.

By the way, is that a little Corso pup in your avvy?
Actually that is my Great Dane on the day that we brought him home. It is crazy how small he was!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts