Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Organ. An it's very important.
Liver should make up at least half of the organ meat you feed.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Thanks for the info! The supermarket here stopped carrying it but I will check the butchers!
No problem.
I've never seen wal mart not have chicken liver. I buy chicken livers rather than bee because beef liver is like $3.50/lb here, and chicken liver is only a dollar. They come in litle tubs, like cottage cheese and sour cream do. They're in the chicken section on the wall with meat.

I haven't seen them in the normal grocery store here, but wal mart here and where i used to live always has them

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem.
I've never seen wal mart not have chicken liver. I buy chicken livers rather than bee because beef liver is like $3.50/lb here, and chicken liver is only a dollar. They come in litle tubs, like cottage cheese and sour cream do. They're in the chicken section on the wall with meat.

I haven't seen them in the normal grocery store here, but wal mart here and where i used to live always has them
I would go to Walmart but it's quite a bit away. I go to Save a Lot instead. Next time I do go to walmart though, I might have to stock up!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I would go to Walmart but it's quite a bit away. I go to Save a Lot instead. Next time I do go to walmart though, I might have to stock up!
Yeah, they're pretty easy to stock up on because they're cheap. It's a shame they aren't closer because they go on sale quite often. I bought 8 tubs of them yesterday becxause they were marked down really low. The tubs they're in make them easy to store, too. I jsut stack them in the freezer

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
What about gizzards & hearts? I am pretty sure hearts are muscle meat but I don't remember.
Neither fall into the organ category. Heart is pretty much a "must" in a raw diet, I feel. While they are considered muscle meat, and should be fed like such, I feed it in small amounts, as it's very rich. I use pork heart because they have it at the Ranch 99 store here for pretty cheap.

Gizzards aren't necessary. My Corgi won't touch them, but my boxer likes them as a treat. It's not something i spend my money on, but I buy a lot of whole turkey and whole chicken, so the innards come with them.

The only organs I feed are liver and kidney. That's all i have radily avaliable.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Is it okay to feed liver as your only organ meat? They don't have kidney here, and I don't think they have any other organ.
Haha, you really need to get to a super wal mart. They always have beef kidney and chicken livers. Always.

ETA: do you have any mexican or asian type markets nearby? I didn't think had any til I did a google search and found a few of them. They tend to have more of the not-so-common things ike organ meats and whole fish and things like that.
Also, if you have a butcher nearby, even if he doesn't advertise these things, chances are if you ask about it and are friendly, he will be willing to get you what you need, and at a decent price.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Is it okay to feed liver as your only organ meat? They don't have kidney here, and I don't think they have any other organ.
Except for rare occasions, liver is the only organ I feed. There are kidneys in chicken quarters and backs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, you really need to get to a super wal mart. They always have beef kidney and chicken livers. Always.

ETA: do you have any mexican or asian type markets nearby? I didn't think had any til I did a google search and found a few of them. They tend to have more of the not-so-common things ike organ meats and whole fish and things like that.
Also, if you have a butcher nearby, even if he doesn't advertise these things, chances are if you ask about it and are friendly, he will be willing to get you what you need, and at a decent price.
Okay, I am really stocking up next time I get to a walmart lol!

No markets like that nearby, I just did a Google search.

If I can't get to a walmart soon, I will ask the butcher about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts