Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up 2 beef liver filets yesterday and wondering if I should be worried about feeding it raw with kibble? I thought I read somewhere a while back that feeding raw and kibble is not good?

We also give Bailey 1-2 raw eggs/week and 1 can of mackerel/week mixed in with Horizon Legacy. Should or can I be giving her more eggs?

For some reason i'm having trouble finding this out searching for fish oil on here. Is there any real difference in giving her a tablet or just getting a bottle of fish oil to squirt in her food? How much should I be giving her day to day?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I picked up 2 beef liver filets yesterday and wondering if I should be worried about feeding it raw with kibble? I thought I read somewhere a while back that feeding raw and kibble is not good?
You heard right bout raw and kibble together but even disregarding that, giving a good size hunk of liver to a dog not used to digesting raw meat is inviting several days of cannon butt.

We also give Bailey 1-2 raw eggs/week and 1 can of mackerel/week mixed in with Horizon Legacy. Should or can I be giving her more eggs?
It's up to the dog to tell you that. Increase slowly and when the dog begins having soft stools, back off a little. I only give my dogs an egg a week I know a few people that feed an egg a day. It's just what you want to feed and what your dog can tolerate.

For some reason i'm having trouble finding this out searching for fish oil on here. Is there any real difference in giving her a tablet or just getting a bottle of fish oil to squirt in her food? How much should I be giving her day to day?
No real difference. The fish oil can taste pretty bad so your dog may not want to eat food with it squirted on it. Otherwise, it makes no difference. You don't need to give it every day. Every few days or once a week or so is sufficient.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, so is there any good way to introduce the liver to her without giving her cannon butt lol...Little amounts at a time? Boil it a little?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thanks for the info, so is there any good way to introduce the liver to her without giving her cannon butt lol...Little amounts at a time? Boil it a little?
I always suggest to new raw feeders not to feed organ meat for 2 months to give the dogs time to learn how to digest real meat. In your case you might start off with very small amounts, like maybe the size of your littlest fingernail and GRADUALLY increase the amount over time. I doubt boiling it will have any effect.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, If i'm cutting up pieces that small, I mean should it be 1 piece/week or more like 1 piece/day?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Alright, If i'm cutting up pieces that small, I mean should it be 1 piece/week or more like 1 piece/day?
One piece but gradually, like every few days, make it larger and larger until you reach the size you want to feed. I only feed my Danes a little more than 1/4 lb a week in one feeding per week.

ETA: You dont need to feed your dog a lot of liver. Around 5% of the total diet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts