Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been dehydrating liver in the oven and using it as treats for Grace. It is still soft, so not like jerky. She LOVES it. My question is this...If she is eating the equivalent of two slices of liver a week (beef liver so far), is this enough? Or do I need to supplement the liver treats with more liver?

I have not tried to feed her raw liver yet. We are not quite there in the raw process. We are going to try fish this week! I guess I am trying to avoid the cramming it down the throat method :rolleyes:

All in all, the raw feeding has been a breeze. Grace loves meal time now and it is so easy. She gets this funny burst of energy after her evening meal, as if to say to us "I feel good, na na na na na na na, like I know that I should, na na na na na na na" :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't know what dehydration (cooking) does to the nutrients in liver. I know Vitamin A is the big deal in liver along with iron, copper and some other stuff. I suggest when you get to the raw liver stage of raw feeding to give her a slice of raw/week just to be sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What size are the slices? I am curious, I am about to do the same :redface:

I have a 4 pack of beef liver, it may be pound total, but I have 4 dogs - so I am trying to figure out how much is really needed because they are showing signs of not liking it very well.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I think a package is about a pound with 4 slices/package. That would be 1/4lb/slice. My Great Danes get about 2 slices/week each. There are several ways to teach your dogs that liver is ok. They way I did it was to mix A LITTLE in some canned salmon. Maybe a piece the size of your thumbnail. Each week, I would increase the amount until the amount was 2 slices.

Another thing you can do is sear it a little to add flavor. Still another method is to serve it partially frozen on the theory that it's the texture the dogs don't like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts