Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a good deal on a few packages labeled "lamb shoulder and neck pieces" but I want to make sure the bone in them is okay to feed before I do.

Can anyone answer?

Here's a pic of one package, just for reference:

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We love giving whole lamb necks but they are hard to come by. The bones should be just fine for a larger dog, definitely a good chew. With that being said, I wouldn't give these to a newly switched dog that is used to digesting bones.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would give it a shot at this point. But only give him about a half ration of it at first and see how he does with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible his body won't digest the bones if he swallows them or is it just possible he won't be able to chew up the bones?

Thx again!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
He can digest the bones, it just depends on how well he digests them. The bones are much tougher than poultry bones and can be harder to digest, especially for newbie raw eaters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I see, good to know - thanks!

He does eat beef rib bones and pork shoulder bones fairly frequently without any problem. He did have issues with those at first though.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I give Max pork and venison neck bones in large bits but I would not feed those small ones. I found a package of $1 lamb neck bones in 3x3x1" bits and the humans got them, not the dog. He eats some of the bone in vertebra, not all. I don't want him to eat all that bone and I sure don't want him to try to swallow that small bone whole.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am not a fan of machine sawed bones. I think it makes them sharp and it cuts them way down in size so they could be a choking hazard.

I would feed the meaty parts. I would throw those sawed bones away.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Yeah, not really a fan of anything cut, my boy dog will cut up his mouth if he tries to eat those types of bones. I think being a totally white dog his pigment has its disadvantages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts