Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to feed Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice.
Ruckus would have firm stools but then right behind it he would have squishy mashed potato consistency stools. in the same bowl movement! every single time.

I stopped feeding Diamond lamb and rice and it went away.
would you assume Ruckus doesnt do well on lamb and rice? or would you just assume it is the Diamond brand lamb and rice that he does bad on? maybe he would be fine on another lamb and rice?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It would not be uncommon for a dog to have trouble with Lamb. The only way to really tell without having an "official" allergy test done, would be to eliminate what you deem as the "problem" source. If you see the results change for the better and try re-introducing the "problem" source only to see the results get worse, then chances are you've found the problem.
Just remember, it sometimes is not the most obvious ingredient.
I say this from experience since Khan is allergic to Flax/Flaxseed, and now I've just discovered he is also allergic to Salmon Oil. 2 very common ingredients in both food AND Treats. Don't forget to look at those ingredients too!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I used to feed Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice.
Ruckus would have firm stools but then right behind it he would have squishy mashed potato consistency stools. in the same bowl movement! every single time.
?
not saying this is the reason, but those are the classic symptoms of overfeeding, even if by just a small amount. you might have switched to a food where that same amount of food was just the right amount (sometimes even just 1/4 cup overfeed can cause firm stools to end softly).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he hasnt been on the diamond lamb and rice for a couple of years now. and i havent had a problem since.
it is possible that i was over feeding him when he was on it. i didnt know as much about dog food and how much to feed then as i do now. Seems like he ate 2 and 1/2 cups... but i cant remember. at that time he was about 38lbs.

The reason why i was thinking about trying a lamb and rice food again is that we switched from TOTW to a decent food at tractor supply called 4 Health. I am in a tight spot and cannot pay the price for TOTW for a while.

4 health has a chicken formula, and lamb and rice formula, and a high performance chicken formula. and i like to switch up dog food protein sources.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is old, but i didnt want to start another thread.

well, i had him on 4health with lamb for only a bag. horrible nasty poop like i was telling you about before.

but i am wondering how he would do on the new TOTW formula that has lamb in it.
i like to keep his protein a little low (search, i have a few threads on this) and those two formulas of TOTW would be perfect for me to rotate with plus home cook.
but its got lamb in it....
im still thinking of trying it. since TOTW is much better than diamond naturals or 4health.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts