Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again everyone,another question!
Is there a limit to how many times I should give my dogs a raw heart to eat?
I think I read somewhere that they should only be given once or twice a week,can anyone advise please?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hi again everyone,another question!
Is there a limit to how many times I should give my dogs a raw heart to eat?
I think I read somewhere that they should only be given once or twice a week,can anyone advise please?
Thanks
Give it as much as your dog's bowels tolerate it. Don't give so much that you exclude bones, organs and other protein sources. Remember, for our purposes, heart is not an organ. It's muscle meat and fat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give it as much as your dog's bowels tolerate it. Don't give so much that you exclude bones, organs and other protein sources. Remember, for our purposes, heart is not an organ. It's muscle meat and fat.
Ok thanks, i'll give them two small lamb hearts each to begin with every other day.
My two had meaty cow ribs each for the first time last night for their dinner,their poo's were nice firm and crumbly this morning!(just thought I'd add this wee bit in).

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Stools are a great determiner of how well your dogs are digesting it. That much hearts so soon sounds like a bit much but if their bowels handle it then by all means go for it!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Stools are a great determiner of how well your dogs are digesting it. That much hearts so soon sounds like a bit much but if their bowels handle it then by all means go for it!
I didn't realize they were so new. If you haven't been feeding raw for a month or two, I wouldn't give any heart at all at this point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i'll leave the heart out for a month or two, I've been feeding my two part raw & part kibble for quite a few months now, raw chicken wings for breakfast and kibble for evening dinner.
They've now been on a complete raw diet for over a week now and I must say they are looking great now and there was no upset tums when I done the sudden change, they will be getting whole raw Sardines for their breakfast in the morning.
Here's a couple of pictures I took this evening!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
^^^^ Beautiful dogs!

What have they been eating so far?

Since its only been a week, I think its too early to add in fish...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^^ Beautiful dogs!

What have they been eating so far?

Since its only been a week, I think its too early to add in fish...
Mainly the butchers pet mince for their evening dinner but I fed them meaty rib bones the other evening, for their breakfast I've fed them various raw foods for a number of months now,chicken wings,minced tripe,minced rabbit,whole raw Sardines, raw eggs. I also always gave them a large raw bone every weekend but now I know not to give weight bearing bones!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
My two dogs do great on lamb hearts, seems to be a little bit more mild than a beef heart, so I'd start with that first. Maybe because it's much smaller, not sure. They also really love lamb liver, but your dogs aren't ready for that just yet. Great pictures!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wow that is terrible! And odd because a lot of people consider staffies to be "pits" or at least of the pit bull variety. I'm glad Scotland at least lets staffies in!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts