Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really disappointed. My dog loves her raw food, but absolutely HATES liver. I've tried everything to get her to eat it, cook very slightly, cook the xxxx out of it, freeze it, slice it, hide it,, garlic, disguise, threaten. Now I'm forcing it down her throat which doesn't exactly thrill either of us.
I was wondering though, are there any symptoms that I should be looking for if she was lacking vitamins from the liver?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
How long into raw feeding are you?

We have been raw feeding for years and just have to shove liver down throats. I'm not sure of symptoms you would be seeing, but I would continue to shove liver down throats if you cannot get them to eat it willingly. Liver is essential, so its not something that cannot be excluded from the diet. The nice thing is that you could feed it once every 2 weeks and be ok. Dogs really don't need that much of it.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Have you tried different kinds of liver? my dogs will eat all liver but prefer lamb.

Reactions: MollyWoppy

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, we've tried 4 types of liver and she gives me the evils over all of them - but thanks for the suggestion.
She's been on raw, gosh, about 6 or 7 months now and its all been very easy, largely because there is so much great info and help here. I've been getting progressively more worried though thats she's not getting enough liver to fulfil her nutritional needs and I wouldn't know it until she keeled over or something.
But, as long as you say that liver once every 2 weeks is fine, then we're good to go. Thank you once again!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We only feed liver once every few weeks so not to worry. Just make sure your dog gets it regularly in it's diet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is an absolute last resort or a in the mean time until she will eat liver. But you can use cod liver oil in replacement. Its high in Vit A, and could be useful in your situation. I would still work on trying liver, but just an idea.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I layed out liver this morning. Last week I tried a piece or two with all of them. Olie mu one Spoo ate it, everyone else looked at me like I was crazy! I DO NOT want to deal with suppliments. Since going RAW I have not added anything into Suri's diet. She has not had runs and one belly update in over 2 months. Just amazing!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
My Corgi wouldn't eat liver at first, until my GSD came in for a sniff, and then he gulped it down without thinking twice. Nothing wrong with some healthy competition! my Cocker also refused Kidney at first, and then one day just up and decided it was fantastic, so keep on trying!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I am lucky in that my Golden will eat plain liver no problem. However, I wanted to mention that I purchase from a raw feeding store 2" cubes of liver mixed with tripe. My dog especially loves these. This is pretty gross but could you put the liver through a blender with some tripe and then freeze into ice cube trays? Dogs love tripe so it may take away the aversion to the liver if mixed. Just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts