Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post a couple days ago about feeding only raw chicken. I was recommended to supplement with Omega 3 b/c my GSD is not getting it from chicken alone.

I have noticed that my GSD has been biting his paws and leg area ALOTTT more than he use to. Could this be due to lack of omega 3? Or maybe the switch to raw?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that dogs may do okay short term on one protein source but really need a variety. I don't know where you are but if you can find a local butcher you should be able to find beef hearts and pork hearts fairly cheaply. You can find a Sustainable program near you maybe? That would provide variety very cheaply.

I would also think that your dog's itchiness is either due to a lack of variety or a possible allergy to the chicken. We have one dog that can not tolerate chicken. It seems that she just can't digest it.

What else do you give them? Pumpkin, yogurt, eggs?

Organ meat? That is vital for certain nutrients.

Adding fish oil should help some. You could also added canned mackerel to their diet once or twice a week. I believe it's about $1.90/can. Sardines are a bit cheaper but have more sodium. That would give them the O3's and a bit of variety.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I really doubt that it is a chicken allergy, my dogs are itchy this time of year from being outside and from the allergens all around them.

I would definitely add some fish oil and try to add a can of mackerel or sardines a week, I always rinse my cans with water to try to lessen the sodium content, and I also add an egg but boy the gas can be dangerous!:eek:

I haven't been giving my dogs fish oil for some time as my boy dog was having issues with the soy in the pill casing, they get plenty of omega 3's as all their red meat is grass fed, hormone free natural beef, llama too, their coats are nice and shiny but still a little itchy, it could be just environmental.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Fish oil should help because omega 3 fatty acids are lacking in lighter meats...I don't suggest adding in pumpkin and yogurt because they are not ideal ingredients to add into a natural diet. Grass fed or natural fed red meats contain natural supplements of omega fatty acids so if you don't feed these I would supplement.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
you can also buy alaskan salmon oil from costco...it's soy free and is in gelcaps..my dogs think they are treats...

i think carlsons norwegian salmon oil is also in a similar price range....and can be found on amazon.com

right now, though, both of my dogs, while not eating themselves raw....are a little itchy and even bubba has some eye goobers.....he hadn't had any of those since his eye surgeries in february to fix some pug defects...

so i suspect those allergens are flowing and even i am not immune and i don't have any :)

dogs do need fat and they do need their omega 3s....so if you can't get the grass fed/grass finished products....do consider looking for sales and feed them fishes and beef and pork and turkey and chicken and goat and rabbit and and and ....the list is almost endless..

and don't forget to feed organs, especially liver... and rich muscle meats, like heart....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts