Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few nights ago I was awakened to my Lab ripping and chomping on the bedskirt. He actually swallowed several good sizes of ripped bedskirt fabric that night. A day or so later, all the fabric came out in his poop.

This was the first time I had ever seen my Lab actually "eating" fabric.

Last night was the second time he did it again! This time there wasn't much of the bedskirt left intact so he moved on to one of the throw rugs in my bedroom.

I'm puzzled. His diet has not changed, nor has his routine. The only time this behavior has occurred is during the night, late, long after we all have gone to bed.

Any input on this behavior is greatly appreciated, I'm trying to figure out whether he is actually ill or something.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My 4 1/2yo Thor will often hold a corner of his own bedding in his mouth. He doesn't really chew it but just holds it in his mouth. After 4 or 5 months of this, the bedding starts to come apart. In his case, I think it's like his security blanket. Anytime he goes in the bedroom during the day or before bedtime at night, he will just lay on the floor (not on his bed) and hold it in his mouth for a few minutes.

If there are one or two places your dog chews, you can get some Alum and put on it and I guarantee he will never chew it again. Alum is a white powder you can get at the drug store. Get about a tablespoon full, mix a couple of drops of water in it to make a paste. Spead the paste over the place being chewed and leave it. It will dry into a hard crust but thats ok. After a month or so you can get a damp rag and take it off. The dog will put his mouth on it one more time and never again. It's also great for door jams, table and chair legs, etc.

ETA: My guess is it's not diet or health related, he's just found a new game to entertain himself while he is alone late at night.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least Thor isn't actually eating, digesting, and pooping the fabric. In all the time I've had Gunther with me he has never done this before so I found this behavior quite alarming. My initial thought was that he must have been awfully hungry! My second thought was that he must have a tummy ache because the only time he chomps on foreign stuff is when he has a tummy ache.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts