Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am just wondering what others of you use to cut up your meat? Most of it is easy, and I just use a large kitchen knife. But every once in a while I find something a little difficult to cut, and wonder if I need better tools...

Please disregard my question. I searched, like I should have in the first place, and found answers. I'm a moron!! :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You're not a moron! Using the search tool on the is a great way to find out info...but a lot of people don't realize that its there! I use it all the time, but it took me a while to figure out that it was there! And with all honesty we don't mind answering the same questions over and over :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
you're not a moron.....i was searching another forum and it was recommended that i use joyce chen scissors.....and not just one person.....millions swore by these scissors...

i went and looked at them and thank g'd i didn't get them because they were awful for me.....

i have a carving knife and a cleaver....and i'm all right with them :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I think I need a cleaner for sure. It would help, and somethong about standing there hacking up meat like a madman is appealing! :smile:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
they are so much fun.....i can tell by how easily my cleaver goes through bone...whether or not my little guy can eat the bone i'm hacking....so it's very useful for me...especially since the little guy only gets 6 oz a day....

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Funny, I was just cutting up my chickens for the first time today and I told my husband that chicken bones must be pretty easy to chew because my cheap kitchen scissors could cut through most of them pretty easy. So far the kitchen scissors and a sharp small knife are all I've used, but I"m only doing chickens. I really want to go out and get a good cleaver so I can whack away on the bigger stuff and work off my frustrations!

I think I'm getting a pretty good workout seperating drumsticks from the quarters though. It takes some effort to rip those little suckers off ( since I have a little dog)! My husband has to leave the room while I'm working on the chickens. He thinks I need a seperate meat workshop out in the yard somewhere that can be hosed off and bleached when I'm done! Definitly not a biology major.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not had problems with chicken, but the pork ribs are killing me! My husband is a little traumatized by all the raw meat. I either try to cut and package it while he was gone, ot I make a HUGE production out of cleaning. you could do surgery on my island when I am done!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have not had problems with chicken, but the pork ribs are killing me! My husband is a little traumatized by all the raw meat. I either try to cut and package it while he was gone, ot I make a HUGE production out of cleaning. you could do surgery on my island when I am done!
Yep.....same here with my husband! I make a big point of bringing out the comet cleanser and attacking the sinks and counters untll they sparkle when I'm done. I don't think he realizes that we've actually been cooking food and handling chicken and turkeys on those counters for ourselves all these years before the dogs started eating it. It's not like a meatloaf just makes itself and hops in the oven now, :biggrin:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, mine stands and watches sometimes and says 'Ewwwww'. But he is a big meat and potatoes guy. He is also a fireman, and they spend a lot of time grilling the same kind of stuff I am cutting up!!

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Thats funny my husbands a fireman too:biggrin:, he helps me cut up meat ALL the time, he'll even take the initiative if I'm at work and something needs to be packaged up, like last week the 60lbs of venison meat needed to be packaged up and frozen, he does it all on his own. He loves the dogs as much as I do!!!!!!!!!!:smile:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Oh, my husband loves the dogs.....he just really hates anything 'biological and messy'! BUT.....I knew I had the right guy when years ago one of my crazy girl chows suddenly let out a howl and just died suddenly in her sleep in the middle of the night. He actually did mouth to mouth on her trying to give her air and did CPR on her while I thru on some clothes and then madly drove us to the emergency room with me in the back of the SUV working on her.

And that wasn't even one of the chows that he liked very much! He'd do anything for Rocky.....that's his boy!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Keeping your knives sharp makes a big difference. I can always tell when mine are getting dull because I find myself getting really frustrated trying to cut very simple things. I hate dull knives! If you can't sharpen it well enough yourself take it to a cutlery store. Most of them have a sharpening service

1 - 12 of 12 Posts